M.P.G Calculations

Can anyone explain how the computer in the ML series figures the Mile per gallon figure? Mine seems to be all over the board. At one point today it showed me getting 79mpg. Damn I wish! Sometimes going up hills it jumps up or down, even using cruise control it is all over the place. Thanks!

Reply to
Scott Benson

Yall just gotta drive backwards an watch them ole mpgs realllllllly pile up! An we hear thet ole Wubya Bush iz gonna mandate thet ta save gas till hiz new Hydrogen bomb powered karz iz out!

mcbrue gasavingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

It is MPG *right now* so if you are going down hill coasting down from 80 mph you will be getting awesome MPG, but you had to get the 3's for a while to climb the hill.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

Not entirely true - there is also a setting for average mpg. Also, the trip computers are a known problem - I had mine replaced 4 times (2001 ML320)

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

There should be a damper/integrator on there as telling you the instantaneous consumption is pretty meaningless. Wasn't this the problem with the very early 'consumption calculators'?

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

My MPG calculator is in my head. I put £20 worth of petrol in and get

210 miles out of it. Mostly motorway at autobahn speeds of 80-90 That's a 1990 190E manual @3500 revs
Reply to
Steve

And, don't tell me...price of your petrol never goes up as you always put

20-quids' worth in...

;-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

You are observing the "instantaneous" MPG. This is generally not useful unless you want to train yourself to drive with a lighter foot and save fuel. Press the MODE button once and you will see the average MPG. I believe it is the average over the last 100 miles or so. You can also reset the average value if you are about to start driving differently, such as starting out on a long highway trip.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Well, yes. I have to admit that petrol prices are not static but wether my old banger does 36 MPG or 36.000348 MPG isn't really a problem. I'm rich and I can easily afford the extra 2p a week, lol

Reply to
Steve