M110 engine : valve adj. with or without clips ?

Hi'
I was trying to adjust the valves on my 280CE '84 this weekend after a procedure i got from another MB guy. The idle was a bit rough.
The problem is, that he specifically said : "Take off the springs
first....." but when i do that, the rocker arm is somewhat loose in all directions, sideways, back and forth, up and down.
This means that the gap widens up considerably, when the spring is taken off, and make it almost impossible to adjust - so i ended up adjusting with the springs on.
But what is the right procedure ?
And why the slack in the rocker arm, is that normal since it is necessary to add a apring, or is it wear & tear ?
The engine now runs fine in idle, and it feels like acceleration also improved a bit.
Input highly appreciated.
/Jesper
http://w123.homepage.dk

3megs if anybody is interested - just pop me an email.
/jesper
jesper.bach@ donotspam . 12move.dk (remove the you-know-what).