M180 with a single row timing chain, why double row?

Hi,

I've just gotten myself a M180 engine but it has a single row timing chain, while another M180 I have has a double row chain.

Does anyone know why Mercedes used a single row chain and why a double one?

Can I replace the single by a double if I change the sprocket wheels as well?

-- Martijn

Reply to
Martijn Tonies

A double row chain is stronger than a single chain and therefore less likely to break. The 3.8L V-8s of the early '80s had single chains but these motors had the space so double chains could be retrofitted - and usually were. I cite that old V-8 because I don't know what a M-180 is.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

The M180 is a 6 cylinder inline engine, around 1970, for example in the W114 and so on.

But, would it break easily? Under what conditions? Should I replace it by a double chain?

-- Martijn

Reply to
Martijn Tonies

Most owners don't want their pistons smashing into their valves when the chain breaks.

Why do you think new motors have double chains when a single chain will do?

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Only 8 postwar models used a single row chain:

They were not particularly wonderful. If you can afford to upgrade to double row by all means do so - if the rest of the car is worth keeping.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I only have the engine, but I do have plenty of spare parts from other M180 engines (M180.928).

Would I be able to use those parts to replace the chain.

In this particular setup, I will not go 175 Km/h, only about 90 max, but I will use it in a heavier vehicle.

-- Martijn

Reply to
Martijn Tonies

I don't know for sure. If you have a dealershi p with a decnet parts guy he can probably give you he list of parts and from that you should be able to figrue out what ones you already have.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Well some parts are the same (eg: intermediate shaft from oilpump etc), but others seem to have slightly different numbers but have been replaced by ones that look alike. I think that the bushings are the same but haven't put them next to one another yet.

Might give it a go, there seems to be space enough for it.

-- Martijn

Reply to
Martijn Tonies