Maclaren SLR

Last night I was in this off-street car park in central London to collect my car when I saw a rare sight, a Maclaren SLR. I was admiring it and the Aston-Martin next to it (nice car park...) and I got into conversation with a chap paying for his parking at a nearby ticket machine.

He was quite derogatory about the SLR, calling its appearance, particularly the nose, "cheap-looking", and declaring the Aston to be his preference. It turned out he had no real idea of how expensive the SLR was. Anyway, he also slagged off Merc drivers ("unimaginative") (I had not revealed that my own car was a Merc) and so I was beginning to wonder what his car was. Was it the BMW 5 at the back towards which he was heading?

No, it turned out to be a Porsche 911... Now what does that say about 911 drivers...

Happy New Year, One and All

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

Actually I do not own a Porsche, but from the looks I'd also prefer the Aston Martin. To me a McLaren SLR is less desireable than, let's say an Mercedes SL 65 AMG, which costs half the price.

Nevertheless: Best wishes for the new Year!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Well, if it were my own money I would not buy an SLR, but a top-of-the-line S Class with all mod cons (modern conveniences) and still have LOTS of money left over.

It was not so much the Porsche driver's preference of the Aston, just his comments (and prejudice) about Merc...

In othefr words a perfect contributor to a Newsgroup. We should invite him in...

Re spelling, thanks for (indirect) correction. I was thinking of the baby buggy name...

Gutes Neues Jahr... DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

...my money... But then I am thinking with a mindset of someone who does not have the funds to even consider an SLR. Now if I were the Sultan of Brunei I would probably buy both, and the Aston-Martin and the 911 (and I bet he has done that!)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Happy New Year Everybody.

and if I were that wealthy I too would just get one of each because choosing would be too much bother......

The real test would be which one you chose to drive more than a few times...

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

No, it turned out to be a Porsche 911... Now what does that say about

911 drivers...

In general, nothing. Specifically: That he has better taste than you? That his aesthetic judgement is not swayed by price? The SLR looks like a four-eyed, chrome-plated proboscis monkey:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reply to
coolmale48

An interesting exchange re: the SLR

John M. '94 E320 It's def, it's da bomb. It's whack!!!!

Reply to
John Mauel

"Dori A Schmetterling"

Says nothing at all about 911 drivers. May indicate something of the taste of this particular individual - that's all.

I drive both an MB and a 911. The MB, a newer C320 sport is for all year. My 911, an older cabriolet is pretty much a summer only car. Weather permitting, there's usually no question as to which will leave the garage.

I can think of at least a dozen cars I'd have in the garage before an SLR. Not necessarily because of the specs, but because I don't care for the styling any more than your car park acquaintance - And that has nothing to do with being a Porsche driver. On specs alone, I'd love to have a Carrera GT, but the styling (and of course the price) are a little too far "out there" for my taste as well.

Sure is easy and fun to critique that which we will never be able to afford - isn't it?

:o)

ds

Reply to
DFS

Of course an individual's comments are only an individual's comments....I guess it is hard to convey a tongue in cheek.

It was only because the man slagged off all Merc drivers that I asked my oh-so-serious question, "...what does that say about 911 drivers..."

There was also a little old (40 years) Porsche cabriolet in great condition. Looked nice. Like I said, nice car park.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I've debated posting this heresy, but I actually got under the hood of a McClaren SLR at a car show and poked around in the interior . . . I'd rather have a Corvette Z06. I know how that sounds, but the SLR is no F1, and I don't think that it does what it pretends to do, and a Corvette has a better weight to power ratio. There I've said it; it's off my chest, and now I will go check MYSELF into the mental ward and throw away the key.

Reply to
Hazey

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

The other day I read a very interesting story about two Porsche addicts who converted a '68 Porsche 912 into an electric powered vehicle: 100 mph maximum speed, approx. 9 seconds from 0-60, range 30 to 60 miles depending on driving habits. Besides being Porsche addicts, both explained that the 912 is very suitable for this type of conversion, because it has a very good ratio between net and gross weight.

Strange, yet interesting project;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The newest 'vette is the first one I could actually see me driving since they went all 'Mako Shark' in '68(?)

John M. not trading in his '94 E320 anytime soon.

Reply to
John Mauel

The Sultan of Brunei Bought 6 Mclaren F1's so he could have them in different colours. I'm sure an SLR snuck in there somewhere.

He also has a bespoke estate version of a Ferrari 456m GTA which is a beautiful looking car.

I once saw an SLR rumbling down New Bond Street, I was walking back to my car and past Jack Barclays, looking in the window I thought a Bentley Arnage T was so much nocer than the SLR and enough change for an Aston Martin to boot.

I'll worry about the problem of which one to choose if I ever get anywhere near that position...:-)

Reply to
Alan Mudd

May you have that problem soon!

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

I can not see what the price of the car has to do with the look of the car?

To be honest I do not think the Mclaren SLR is the best looking car in the world. I personally find the CLK much better looking and the price difference is only 1 mill USD here in DK...

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

If the masterplan comes off who knows!

Reply to
Alan Mudd

If the master plan comes off, I happily volunteer to test drive your Maclaren SLR before you buy it. You don't want to make the wrong decision, do you?

Reply to
Hernando Correa

A couple of weeks ago, I was picking up my C coupe from the service department at the dealership when I spotted a McLaren SLR in one of the detailing bays. It still had the temporary license plate on it. I resisted the urge to walk up and snoop more closely, but I have to say it's a much better looking car in person than I'd imagined it would be. The photos don't seem to do it justice.

--Paul

** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
Reply to
Paul Wylie