main air flap is bass ackwards

Well, after replacing the left vacuum element of the two directly behind the glovebox, I no longer have the hissing sound of a vacuum leak, but my main
flap works bass ackwards. When the system is off, the main air flap opens. Everything but off closes the main air flap. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I have the vacuum lines hooked up correctly (they seem to only go on one way, and a picture I took that turned out less helpful than I thought it would be seems to indicate green on top, red on bottom, which I have done). Also, is there a way to tighten up the connection between the lever for closing the center flaps and the flap that you close when you move that lever? I pushed the flap wondering what it is and now when the lever is set to open there is a little play in it. Thanks, Richard
Compare the new element to your old... is it spring loaded in the same direction? If yes, then it is normal.... just that your old element was not doing the job it was supposed to be.
They are the same, and in fact I noticed that the one I didn't touch does the same thing the replacement does (i.e. the other one in the pair isn't fighting it), but it's still bass ackwards. According to benz when the system is set to off the flap should close (which I assume means move towards the passenger cabin), but mine opens (which I understand to mean moves in the direction of the enging. Richard

Anybody care to take out there W126 glovebox and tell me which way the flap moves when the system is set to off? How about ec? Thanks, Richard

turn the car around!
mine when off closes very slowly <towards the glove box bin>
the case, minus a few cans!
Damn, so mine really is bass ackwards...now is that when the engine is off or when you push the off button? Thanks, Richard

both but give me a day to confirm
the case, minus a few cans!

Mine is out. Which flap do you mean?
On the sides ofthe center console at the bottom there's a flap each side. It's closed when the DEF setting is pushes and opens when warm air is desired on your feet. Is that what you mean?
I mean if you take out the glovebox liner and look inside the glovebox, directly in front of you, you will see two vacuum elements and behind that a foam covered flap. That's the flap I'm referring to. Richard

Have been watching your posts about your problem. Surprise!! You don't have a problem, I think. What happens is that when you have the climate control system off, the main vent flap opens to allow fresh air into the cabin. When the climate control system is on, either heat or AC, that flap is closed either entirely or partially (depending on the system requirements). This function is attributed to a government requirement that is supposed to prevent any buildup of carbon monoxide gases in the passenger compartment. I think it's BS on my diesel, plus I don't appreciate 100+ degree air during the summer coming into the car, so I cut the green line behind the glove box and plugged it off. Now that flap is closed all the time.
On mine, when the AC is on, I think it's supposed to mix about 20% outside air. Not sure the precentage with heat. Anyway, I don't want hot air coming in during the summer nor cold air during the winter.
Larry In the back yard, warmly under the oak.