Maintenance on 1982 300CD-T

I just purchased a 1982 300CD-T with 242K miles on it. The car is in impeccable shape to the naked eye, and it seems to run like a charm. The only thing missing are detailed maintenance records beyond the
mid-90s. Any suggestions on how I should proceed to ensure that I get off on the right foot maintenance-wise? I'm hoping to have her for a long time to come, and being a new diesel Mercedes owner I'd appreciate any wisdom on the subject.
Welcome.
The all iron 617.95X turbodiesel is a tough, durable machine that will give you a lot of miles and will "complain" a lot before it gives finally gives up one day. By "complaints" I mean oil consumption, hard starting, excessive crankcase blow by. But that's hopefully many miles distant, especially if you do your part - maintenance.
Change the engine oil and oil filter every 5K miles. Use CI-4 Plus diesel grade oil like Chevron Delo 400, SAE 10 - 40 or 20 - 50. The oil holds soot in suspension so it turns black after about five minutes and that's normal because not all the old oil drains.
The engine's valves are mechanically adjusted and that ought to be done every 15K miles, (good to do in the fall, before the winter cold). Poorly adjusted valves leak and compression suffers and makes for hard starting, especially in cold weather - remember, it's a compression engine. Change the two fuel filters while you at it.
Buy a spare 80 amp glow plug fuse a/k/a fusable link - costs about $1. and hang the spare by a little wire near the glow plug relay on the left fender. The link is under the plastic cover which slides UP.
Running the motor on Bio20 is fine but Bio100 will dissolve all the old deposits in the fuel tank and lines and soon put that mess into the filters now you're forewarned. Bio may also cause the old fuel hoses to weep and leak; Vitron hoses sold by some Bio coops as kits solve that.
These engines are quite simple despite all the hoses and lines under the hood so don't be intimidated by them. If you're interested in DIY this is a good place to pose questions, many of us own or have owned these five cylinder turbos and can help you. If you choose to DIY there are several good on line parts sources to meet your needs: www.autohausaz.com. www.performanceproducts4benz.com (good paper catalog too), www.thebenzbin.com. and others.
Come back when you have a question or two.
Thanks for taking the time, TG. This is exactly the sort of wisdom-from-experience that I need. I'll definitely come back with any questions I might have.