MAYBACH test drive...

I don't. Please see careful choice of words: "a few people in the US". The "you" refers to the poster to whom I replied.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Juergen ." haute in die Tasten:

ACK. 40 years ago Mercedes launched the Mercedes 600 and proved that they can compete with the top brands of the world. Why launch another brand which does not naturally sound superior to Mercedes?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Why do you think that Merc needs a car in the EUR 250K bracket? To compete on price with Bentley?

It's very strange. The S-Class was widely acclaimed as the best saloon in the world (not the most expensive), and the management just let it go. Yes, maybe that arrogance, or hubris. It's still good, obviously, but it does not seem to have quite that cachet that it did.

BTW, to me the word Maybach seems to 'Germanic' and not so suitable for the English-speaking markets at which it is principally aimed. Well, maybe they were happy to emphasize 'German quality', just as a number of companies in Asia sport German names, even though they have no connection with Germany/Austria/CH.

The name doesn't have a ring to it, either, like Daimler or Mercedes...and is not evocative like Jaguar...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

If Cadillac decided to launch a super-limo under the brand name "Duesenberg", do you think this would work?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Many in government are "dumb"...but look at who puts them in place. And it's usually those who never vote who complain the most.

Reply to
The earnest one

I agree...sounds like a topic of conversation at an afternoon tea.

Reply to
The earnest one

"The earnest one" haute in die Tasten:

This seems to be something true, which you can see in almost every country.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Good question!

At least ...berg does not end with the guttural chhhh...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

PS. Let's see what the Americans will say.

Maybe we should post the question on the Cadillac/GM NG...?...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling