Maybach to get more power in 2005

In 2005 the engine of the Maybach 57 and 62 will get more power - 612 PS instead of the current 550 PS.
Juergen P.S.: No joke!

They probably need it. I had a Maybach sitting next to my lowly Mercedes at a traffic light last week. Yikes , they are large.
VCopelan wrote:

I wonder how many years will go by until they depreciate to sub $100,000 range ( so I can get one ).
GREEK_PHILOSOPHIZER wrote:

Exactly what a friend asked me some while ago - he is pi**** off because until the appearance of the Maybachs he drove _the best car in the world_ (at least in his mind, it's a W140 S-Class Diesel).
As the Maybachs are ..err ...ahem _not that cheap_ it will take a long time before that happens, remember the base price for a 57 is 360.000 Euro (in Germany, incl. 16 per cent VAT).
And I am sure that before they get _too_ cheap DC will secretly buy back Maybachs to prevent sharing them the fate of the W100 (MB 600 from 1964 - 1981) too soon.
Juergen

No kidding: Mercedes had such effects in mind when they introduced the Maybach. In many countries there is a hierarchy amongst the people working in administrations or big companies. This hierarchy shows in the size and location of your office, the number of assistants and secretarys you are allowed to have - and the size and price level of your car. From what I have heard this behaviour is very common in Asia. So if you are the boss and you drive the biggest Mercedes (S600L), the vice presidents may only have S500 or smaller (even if they could afford a bigger car). So if there are a few hundreds of company and administration leaders decide to upgrade from an S-class to a Maybach, they will be followed by thousands of 2nd level managers, who may upgrade to a new S-class.
A former colleague of me told me a funny story about this, which happened around 1980 in Hamburg/Germany. He was a young man back then, and the german subsidiary of Pentax Optical (the makers of the Pentax cameras) hired him as PR writer. His boss was a German, and the CEO of the company was of course a Japanese.
That colleague (fresh from university, with a long beard and strange clothes) used to drive a former funeral car. Soon his boss took him by his side and said: "Well, the management is slightly irritated about that strang big black car parking every morning in front of our building. Do you think it would be possible that you decide to get another car in the very near future? If money is an issue, we would be glad to borrow you some." So they paid him two months salary in advance, he got rid of the funeral car and bought an old, but cheap - Mercedes 280S. This brought his boss in even bigger troubles, because the japanese CEO was a very economical person, who only drove an Audi 100...
My colleague left the company just a few month slater.
Frank
Citroen - Made in Trance
Tasten:

During that time before the official market introduction there were many stories told about the new business habits of Maybach (Liaison Manager instead of car salesperson). There once I read that Maybach is considering buying used cars back in order not to have cheap 4th hand cars hit the market and devalue the brand name.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
VCopelan wrote:

Yes, Maybach needs it, the cars don't (with that I mean this would direct some media interest to the brand as sales are slow - the cars themselves definitely do have enough power with 550 PS).

Yes, and IMHO they look very impressive in real life.
Juergen
Hi Juergen,
Do you know how they get the increase in power?
Is it (A) a different state of tune for the 5.5-liter V12, or (B) the AMG 6-liter V12 (as used in the CL 65 AMG, etc.) which already is tuned for 612 PS, or (C) yet a new different version of the twin turbo V12 made specifically for the Maybach.
Best regards,
Danny

instead of

Hi Danny,
E 55 AMG wrote:

AFAIK A) - but please don't nail me on that, I can take no guarantee A) is correct.
Kind regards
Juergen
Does that mean the SLR's current output will be increased due to S65, CL65, and SL65?
I saw a Maybach 57 in Denver and, golly, it's real huge!
Oliver
Juergen . schrieb:

Ennui Society wrote:

The SLR already has 626 PS - they come from the 5.5-litre V8 supercharged engine whereas the SL65 etc. and the Maybachs have the 5.5-litre V12 with bi-turbo. From the latter is reported that a power output of 750 PS would easily be available, but there is some limitations due to the transmissions as torque would clearly exceed 1000 Nm...

IMHO they look better in real life than on photos - just the pure dimensions give them a significant presence dstinguishing them from _ordinary_ cars.
Juergen

It is a matter of personal taste, but I think the new Rolls Royce looks more impressive in real than on pics, while the new Maybach is ugly in every respect.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
rank Kemper wrote:

I struggled to avoid that four-letter word in conjunction with the Maybach and so concentrated on the dimensions... ;-)
Juergen P.S.: IMHO the Rolls-Royce looks ugly, too

ACK, but it looks ugly in an interesting way;-) OTOH: If I had half a million Euros to spend, I would buy a nice house instead of an ugly car.
Frank

Citron Xantia - Made in Trance
...or maybe two nice cars and a cottage?....
Of course, in central London we can just about get a cottage for that money...
DAS

And you need a driver for your Maybach/Rolls who keeps the car in movement while you do your stuff in the city, because you won't find a legal parking for that car;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Juergen . wrote:

About time. There is nothing worse than an underpowered expensive car.
Huw
Huw wrote:

LOL!
Juergen

Lol.... Let's not forget that as-is, they're as fast as a Corvette.
I've seen at least 5 of these cars in the last two weeks; I think one of the limo services here in NYC picked up a few of them. Probably Capricorn, they already have MB's, Rolls & Bentley.

============Glad I saw this post.....will definitely postpone my order at least until the 612 PS is available......and probably far beyond then as well.