MB 200 with automatic choke stalls when cold

My 1988 w124 Mercedes 200 with carburetor (115.000 km) stalls when the engine is cold. The engine starts fine, but as soon as I put it in 'D' it stalls. I have to start to 2 to 4 times before I can drive off in the
morning. Two blocks later everything is fine and the car runs great.
I was suspecting the automatic choke. I removed the air filter cover and looked into the carburetor entrance. There are two openings, one has a valve in it that's open when the engine is cold. When I turn the ignition key without actually starting the engine (I don't know if that's safe without the air filter cover) the valve closes, so that looks alright. When the valve closes the carburetor (probably the electromagnet that operates the valve), makes a loud buzzing noise that I'm guessing it shouldn't sound like.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Thanks, Ximinez
My '86 190E (195,000 MILES) exhibits a similar symptom when cold. However, it runs fine if I let the engine warm up for a few seconds, shift to Drive and press gently on the gas pedal. The engine seems to "like" Chevron Regular better than other brands of gasoline. Now that the weather is warmer, the engine starts right up and runs well.
The Spanish Inquisition wrote:

Hernando Correa wrote:

I tried some different gasolines but I noticed no difference. Furthermore it's unusually hot here (30+ centigrade most of last week) and the stalling situation doesn't improve at all. I think I'm taking it back to the place I bought it from to get it checked out.
I started the engine this morning, let it stall as usual, left the ignition on and checked the choke valve. The valve was still closed so that doesn't seem to be the problem. :(
I don't think we have any Chervon stations left in Holland ;)
Thanks.
Ximinez