MB Driver side Mirrors

Anyone else find that these mirrors seemed to be designed for short people? I find the way they adjust to be odd, they more or less seem to be on a fixed pivot on the lower-left and upper-right corner.
I thought it was an "eccentricity" of my 83 300D, but a recently purchased 97 seems to utilize the same peculiar design. Does anyone else feel this way? Is there a way to get the mirror to go "out" more? I am (now) used to leaning in to check this mirror, but still . . . it niggles me .