MB Fortwo and A Class

MB is going to introduce "Fortwo" smart car to Canada. I wonder how well this small car will be accepted there. Will it physically be smaller than Chev Aveo, Toyota Echo Hatch Back, Suzuki Swift or Geo
Metro? Looking at the "ugly" model (although I am sure lots of others can say that it is cute - beauty is in the eye of the beholder), how stable is this car against rollover? I heard it has outstanding mileage. It looks more like cars to be used in a City where within its limit, the SUV, trucks and big guzzler cars are banned. Perhaps it is better fit for European cities (or even Asian cities) where there are lots of those tiny cars around. In North America wouldn't such a car be dangerous to its driver? Will it be categorized as "motorcycle"? How's this car compared to Steve Urkel's tiny two seater car in the TV comedy series - Family Matters ?. I still wonder why MB never introduces its Class A to the North American market. Is it because of safety concerns, or for protecting the MB image for expensive cars?

Think of it this way. Where is the crumple zone ?
I must say that you hit it on the spot! I wonder if the safety people at Daimler Chrysler think about it? I must admit, that such tiny cars are abundant in mid City streets in Europe : Rome,Amsterdam,Paris etc. Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot build those tiny 500-750cc cars. Does it mean that there are more fatal accidents in those cities? Perhaps they do very useful if they can only be used within the city limits, and no other big cars are allowed within the limits. I may think that this is the whole idea/concept of "City cars". In North America,however, such a concept will not be considered very seriously. Unless if polution becomes so bad in some metropolitan areas (NYC, LA,Chicago, etc)and people can't stand with too many SUVs and minivans anymore. However, I believe that this car can travel up to 120 mph! No accident is small when you travel that fast, even among tiny cars.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (aniram) haute in die Tasten:

The standard factory smart fortwo (a.k.a. smart city coup) is limited to a speed of 135 kph which is 82 mph if I got my math right. However it is possible to have the engine chip tuned to 85 hp. These cars are said to run up to 100 mph. Maybe you are confusing the smart fortwo with the smart roadster, which is far lower and longer.
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (aniram) haute in die Tasten:

The smart fortwo (it is a different brand) has a tridion safety cell, which makes the car at least as safe as any other small car, if not safer. I have seen a crash test between a W140 s-class and a smart fortwo, and the smart passengers survived (okay, with injuries). Safety is not a concern with that car. This fact may be hard to believe in a country where the people buy huge SUVs, because they feel safe. Actually most SUVs are quite unsafe.
IMHO DC does not market both subcompact cars (smart fortwo and Mercedes A Class) in the US because their outstanding feature is one, which is not very interesting in the US - their shortness. The feature of being less than 10 feet long is extremely useful in Paris, Rome or Munich, but it is completely neglectable in Kentucky. On the other hand these cars lack features like huge engines with much oomph. So I think DC did not see a big marketing potential for these cars in the US. At the moment DC is launching the new smart forfour, it is a 4 door subcompact, a joint venture with Mitsubishi. AFAIK they plan to make a small all terrain vehicle out of this concept, called smart fourbyfour. This car is bound to be sold in the US also. The current A class (which actually is rather mediocre) is at the end of its life span. The next generatio will be bigger and available as Coup and as SUV. AFAIK DC plans to sell these in the US also.
Frank