MB newbe 78 350SE

Went and looked at a 78 gray market 350SE (I'm in US) it has had reinforcements done on the bumpers, the DOT headlights and reinforcement in the doors back in 1983 is when it came in. Anyway, I have some questions that some of you would be able to help with. First, It appears to be a short wheelbase sedan. Is that a 114 or 116 (I don't have the VIN) secondly what would my biggest concerns be upon buying this car in regards to being 1.) an imported MB and 2.) being a MB of this vintage? Also what US MB would be the replacement windshield (It needs one?) a 78 450 the same? I would like this car to be a painless daily driver for my young daughter. Thank you in advance. Dan

Reply to
john

Don't buy this car. There's no shortage of cars in the USA so why take on a compromise? --- a car that has a "story" to be explained at every need for parts, insurance, DMV etc. Why BUY a headache?

If you daughter needs a reliable car buy a 300D or 300SD Turbodiesel c.

1982 to 1985 that has no rust. The powertrain is well known to many shops and repair parts are available from multiple sources. And its simple so DIY maintenance is possible, if that's part of your program.

A step up from the diesel would be a 300E (gas) sedan c. 1986 - 1992.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
john

PAarts are available. Just make sure you specify it's euro spec. Things like the glass is differnt from US versions.

Helluva car for a daughter. They're FAST. Great engine.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It's a 116 Chassis and it uses the glass for a 116. BUT - and I KNOW this is true for a 108 so I'm assuming it's true for its sucessor - that the Euro glass is different its thinner. The geasket is different to accomidate the thinner glass.

What you want to tell your glass guy is "It's 116 chassis - EURO, not US version" to get the right gasket and glass.

Reply to
Richard Sexton