MB newbe 78 350SE

Went and looked at a 78 gray market 350SE (I'm in US) it has had reinforcements done on the bumpers, the DOT headlights and reinforcement in the doors back in 1983 is when it came in. Anyway, I have some questions
that some of you would be able to help with. First, It appears to be a short wheelbase sedan. Is that a 114 or 116 (I don't have the VIN) secondly what would my biggest concerns be upon buying this car in regards to being 1.) an imported MB and 2.) being a MB of this vintage? Also what US MB would be the replacement windshield (It needs one?) a 78 450 the same? I would like this car to be a painless daily driver for my young daughter. Thank you in advance. Dan
Don't buy this car. There's no shortage of cars in the USA so why take on a compromise? --- a car that has a "story" to be explained at every need for parts, insurance, DMV etc. Why BUY a headache?
If you daughter needs a reliable car buy a 300D or 300SD Turbodiesel c. 1982 to 1985 that has no rust. The powertrain is well known to many shops and repair parts are available from multiple sources. And its simple so DIY maintenance is possible, if that's part of your program.
A step up from the diesel would be a 300E (gas) sedan c. 1986 - 1992.
permission.

PAarts are available. Just make sure you specify it's euro spec. Things like the glass is differnt from US versions.
Helluva car for a daughter. They're FAST. Great engine.
Thanks for the comments Richard. I've checked on glass, the windsheild runs about 129.00 or $250 installed. The AC doesn't work, and there are a couple other issues that need attention. I'm wondering though about the windsheild fittment. It looks the same as a 300 series (W123) but I'm not so sure the glass people need to KNOW for sure so I don't end up buying two, one for a 300 and one for a 450. Anything way you can enlighten me would be appreciated. snipped-for-privacy@excite.com dan

It's a 116 Chassis and it uses the glass for a 116. BUT - and I KNOW this is true for a 108 so I'm assuming it's true for its sucessor - that the Euro glass is different its thinner. The geasket is different to accomidate the thinner glass.
What you want to tell your glass guy is "It's 116 chassis - EURO, not US version" to get the right gasket and glass.