MB repeat owners?

Page 1 of 2
I am very spoiled by my two Mercedes, but i wonder if anyone knows of someone that has bought a Mercedes and then later sold it and not replaced it with another Benz? I have heard of many buying a newer
Benz and keeping their older one instead of trading it in. Anyone ever been turned off from Benz? If so, what did they go to? thanks Shannon 80 450SL 218k miles 86 300SDL 286k miles
Lexus, BMW, Rolls, Jag, Chevy
You're brutal McBrue but that's part of your charm You say what you think and cause no small alarm But this one thing know your opinion is respected In spite of the bridge your good judgement is not effected. And now recent events with my MB's sublime Have given me pause... made me think one more time Are MB's all they should be? No, decidedly not! The next car in my garage may be Mercedes, or not!
Dale (not Camille) 88 560SL 00 CL500 just traded the 96 S500C :-(
MCBRUE wrote:

You're goin' backwards, McB.
John M. Vauxhall > Rambler > Chevy > SAAB > E320 Makin' constant progress, me
lol.

This is my last Mercedes. I am out shopping now and it is either Infinity of Lexus with Lexus in the lead. The quality of Mercedes has just dropped too much and their styling is boring. Yes the Lexus styling is perhaps worse but they are cheaper and better.
Paul

Indeed, I'm on my third consecutive E Class and this will be the last as soon as the lease is up. Not a terrible car, but dealer service has been horrid. Lexus or Infiniti for me.

After 4 "S" Class Mercedes in a row, I am PLEASED to be driving a Lexus LS430. The hassles are over!

I see many of us at work giving up MB and buying brand new Lexus.
Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

I did not mean to post my message to hassle you Mercedes lovers. I had 7 Mercedes over the years and other family members have had 5 or 6 others. In the end they were great cars to drive but the overall Mercedes ownership experience was ALWAYS "love-hate". One particularly annoying problem here in the steep hills of Pittsburgh was the constant brake pad wear. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I heard all that dealer crap about soft pads blah blah blah blah. If I can get 40,000 out of pads on my wife's Explorer, why not more than 10,000 on my (former) S320? In the end, if you review recent history, Lexus came out with a better product 14 years ago. And while Mercedes did (in 1994 or 1995) finally realize they had to compete on price, they just have not gotten anywhere NEAR the quality that Toyota/Lexus has. It's 14 years later and nothing has changed. Nothing. I owned the very first Lexus LS400, 1990 Model. I sold it and started buying "S" Class Mercedes. After 12 years of driving the "S", I realized that that darn Lexus was the best overall auto ownership experience I ever had. So I went back and now enjoy a 2003 LS430. It's just "no-hassle". And to make matters worse, the sinking financial boat known as the former Chrysler Company seems to have made Daimler cut corners EVEN MORE in the Mercedes division.
This all reminds me of how the "Cadillac" name...one where I grew up (I am 43) to understand it to be synonomyous with "quality" degenerated into a joke in the mid 1980's and beyond, except to old retired men in plaid pants. Mercedes isn't THAT bad (yet), but seems to be moving in that direction.

of
ever
I thought Mercedes OWNS Chrysler. not the other way around. that is what the dealer told me... but hey. dealers right....
That Cadillac story is soooo true. how did that happen eh? darn. crazy. and look they have that 2 setter which is plain as day and they want so much money for it.
PLEASE tell me what does this car do? lol.

How many years did you own S Class vehicles, cumulatively? Did you own the 140, and if so, what year, and what hassles did you have with that vehicle? My '99 is now at 54,000 miles, and I'm concerned. I have the 420 if that matters. Car seems like a very good car after about 1.5 years of ownership.

I had them from 1991 (the 126) car to 1999. My last was a 1999 S320...same year as your car. Kept it until a few months ago with 73K miles. I had a few electrical problems out of warranty that cost me maybe $1500 total. Actually, the '99 was the best car of the lot...maybe they "got it" by the time they made that last of the 140 cars. The main thing was tires, brake pads and rotors. ALWAYS something needed replaced. Tires NEVER lasted more than 18K miles. I'd be inclined to say that at "a mere" 54K miles in a '99 S420, you'll probably be OK at least for a while. Especially if you've had the car as you stated and it's been OK. The car IS truly the king of the road, so enjoy it. Until you get your Lexus (heh, heh).

of
ever
to be honest the tires are due to cheap tires. I changed my rims so I have brigstone so3. cant go wrong.

Not true on the tires. Mercedes initially shipped the 1992 140 cars (prior bodystyle "S" Class, first year) with UNIROYAL tires that burned up almost immediately. They then went to Pirelli. Those lasted 8,000 to 10,000 miles. Eventually, Michelin made them a tire and they got about 18,000 miles. The problem had something to do with the weight of the car and the distribution of it. Anyway, Michelins go miles and miles and miles and miles on most other cars. The 140 was a tire eater. MUNCH!

knows
not
newer
Anyone
I have had my current 98 S500 for a couple years and it has now about 90K miles. It has been basically problem free for me except the radio antena (motor) and a few minor issues. I've also had a 93 500SEL before this one. I've had some problems with it. The other MBs we had, ML 320, C280 all had more troubles when we owned them.
I've had two LS400s during the same time I have had the S500s. The LS400s are amazingly reliable and comfortable cars. No problems with them whatsoever. All you do with them is drive them and change oils.

of
ever
LS 400 & LS 430 no i can't afford one but i drive a friends often. they NEVER SEE the shop
you could not hear the 400 when it was running. to bad for the starter as it always got ground into an already spinning flywheel.
NOW about my MBs 82 240 / 82 300SD / 84 300SD now thats the way MBs should be! all three having over 250,000 miles and cold AC.
the C Class destroyed MB!
case
the case, minus a few cans!
Actually, the 190 did much to destroy the Mercedes reputation long before the C class.

I really hate Toyota (Lexus) personally, I am thinking my next car will be Honda Legend or Accord Euro. If MB keeps its quality today for another 10 years, MB will certainly die like UK car industry.
A MB Owner Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

Why do you hate Lexus/Toyota? Every survey ever done shows them to be the best quality.