MB repeat owners?

Page 2 of 2

Maybe car enthusiasts look for more than failure-free assembly. I never saw a Lexus which I liked. They either look like mediocre Mercedes copies or they look plain ugly IMHO. My dad drives a '93 Toyota Camry. This car never breaks, but it does not have neither soul nor style. Camrys are not very popular in Germany, but this car is best for escaping from a bank robbery: It is fast and reliable, and the eye witnesses won't be able to tell the police the band of the car.
It is funny: If my dad would decide that he wants to sell his Camry, maybe I would make him a competitive offer, because I know, that it is a good car. But I would never get the idea of buying just a Toyota instead of something else.
Frank

I agree it has the best quality. I don't hate all Japanese car, I don't know why Toyota gives me the dislike feeling. Perhaps I heard too many positive side about Toyota or it just like Microsoft (some people hate it because its too big). Or simply I don't like Toyota's marketing here always takes its advantage comparing with the others shortage.
I own MBs recently (5 years) but I still have my first car in this country, Honda accord 1.6L 1983, in my garage ready. Honda is a car maker makes good cars silently and does not exaggerate its products. I like their marketing scheme here -- price is not negotiable.
I drove my friend's GS 300 last week, although it has almost the same luxury features of a S class, I couldn't feel its a luxury car. Even it is a really safe car, it did not give me the safe feeling. The handling is simply like a Trueno (Corolla?).
This is totally my opinion.
Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

They went to Lexus! Seriously!

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (sdp1s) hat in Betrag dies gedichtet:

I had two Mercedes W123 and was extremely pleased with the overall quality. Then I talked myself into a convertible. Mercedes convertibles seemed unreachable in terms of buying and running cost. So I decided to stay reasonable and bought a Renault R19 convertible, which turned out to be no wise decision. After two years of trouble I sold the Renault, but I was infected by the convertible virus. So my next car became a BMW 325i convertible, which offered a package that would cost about twice as much if bought from Mercedes. I had four very plesant years with that car. This year I decided to store away the BMW during winter time and buy another car for winter and long range trips. First I wanted to buy a Mercedes again, but then I found out that in the 5k$ range, all suitable Mercedes are worn out. Now I bought a Citroen, well maintained, nice options, just what I wanted.
I still like the brand Mercedes and I can very well imagine to own one again in the future.
Frank

I am telling you... get a CLK. its sporty. and I have no issues with it. w208 body.
dies gedichtet:

I have been finding the comments in this newsgroup worrying.
Until recently my daily experience of Mercs was confined to W123, W124 and the 190E from 1993. All very nice (and not just because they were mostly company-supported cars).
A little while ago I had some water leaking into my 190. After a visit or two to a dealer the problem wasn't fixed, but then I went again and the problem WAS found -- it wasn't obvious. I was charged very little.
Two-and-a-half years ago I bought a new (shock, horror, having said I would never buy new if it's my own money) car, a CLK Cab. So far there have only been a couple of minor issues after 14 000 miles and I am enjoying the car. It has, so far, started first time every time, despite low useage.
From what a lot of people are saying I can expect a heap of trouble from the car and the dealerships. Thing is, I haven't had any, so far. Let's hope it stays that way! (Do I hear a chorus of "Amen"?)
DAS --
Amen! (But, keep your fingers crossed!)
dies gedichtet:

I've had a 1999 S420 since the beginning of the year. Starmark covered. 38k miles on it. Some defective idiot light a few months back -- covered under the warranty. Other than that not one problem. This baby puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it, along with jealous stares from Lexus owners.
As for the caddy bashers -- I also have a '95 STS. Otherwise known as a 4 door Corvette. My everyday car. Cuts through snow like a knife through butter. Caddy did their homework with THIS car. I can't speak for the other Caddies out there but I love mine. I actually prefer the looks of the pre-1998 STS models also.
Tony
Re: MB repeat owners? As for the caddy bashers -- I also have a '95 STS. Otherwise known as a 4 door Corvette. My everyday car. Cuts through snow like a knife through butter. Caddy did their homework with THIS car. I can't speak for the other Caddies out there but I love mine. I actually prefer the looks of the pre-1998 STS models also. Tony
yes that reminds me of the good old days of my 73 OLDS TORNADO . the snow plows were behind me
case
the case, minus a few cans!
I have had several MB's over the years, 14 total. My latest being a 1998 C230 (purchased 1 year old). I was a good car, but It had it's issues with electrical, and expensive service intervals. $500.00 for a oil change service? I got sick and tired of the lack of quality and maintance prices. I sold it because I needed an SUV, then bought a brand-new Jeep Liberty after looking at the ML, then bought a 1985 500SEL for my MB fix. Speaking of service costs, what I paid $500.00 or the MB service interval, I paid only $55.00 for my Jeep!
I love the 500SEL. Simple, straightforward, and a one owner with only 81,000 documented miles! At this point in time, I will not even consider a new MB. That's why I bought the Jeep. Service costs are cheap, quality is actually better than the ML320. This is truley sad time in MB history! Hope they can recover!
VIPERS969 wrote:

Indeed! ==:-(((

Yes, they will - but as over-ambitious loudmouth Schrempp will be CEO for another period of time it will take much longer than necessary.
Juergen
At least Jeep is owned by the same corporation.
DAS --