MB Residuals Fall

Page 2 of 2
I had an expensive repair with the "auto-suck" closing doors. Brake pads NEVER lasted more than 10,000 miles, rotors usually every other pad time.
Michelin Energy tires every 18,000 miles...and while my driving IS somewhat aggressive in the up-and-down hills of Pittsburgh, NO CAR ever ate brakes and tires like THAT. Also, I had a dash light problem that was expensive and a number of other "nickel-and-dime" stuff that never ended.

People may not research the fine points, but most people spending money on a top car understand that when an "S" Class or even the E and C cars go out of warranty, it's a finanical time bomb just ticking. Sure, the cars will still run forever, but will cost an arm and leg to get there. Those same people are smart enough...in fact, they DON'T HAVE to be smart any more...just informed enough...to know that Lexus will go forever without the expense and hassles.

Geeez. So what? If you like a Lexus, then buy one. They do nothing for me. Until I get my 355 Ferrari Spyder, I'll drive my luxury boat. So far, no problems. But if it needs fixing, I'll get it fixed.
Larry 99 S 420
..."its aging product line" is pure codswallop and a display of ignorance as to what is actually happening.
DAS --

Not sure what the Hell they meant by "aging". The C is only two years on, the E one year. The S is 5 and showing up poorly in recent tests against the competition. SLK & ML are the only really "aging" products I can see, unless you want to toss in the G Wagen" ;-)
This report is more a function of the previous year's cars and how they do at trade in time.
Gerald G. McGeorge wrote:

Do you have a link to the story?
Also it should be considered that price can be a function of other things than quality.
Supply can affect price. From what I understand, Mercedes has substantially increased its volume in the USA and so a greater supply for a specific type of used car may well react with a static demand to produce a lower price.
As someone else mentioned, this may be a good thing if you want to purchase a used Mercedes.
It can be a good thing if other people do not want what you want because that leaves more for you!
Gay rights is another category where this logic applies. I have never understood homophobia. It seems to me for every gay guy out there that frees up one more girl for me! Support gay rights!
.

No, I got it out of Automotive News, this week's fron't page. I'm sure it's on their website.

a greater supply for a specific type of used car may well react with a static demand to produce a lower price. <
True, but in this case there's other factorrs, as all the other brands that increased their residuals (BMW, Lexus, Acura) have pumped up their volumes as well.

Indeed, thisis VERY good news for used MB buyers, provided they're not shopping MB Starmark, which goes at quite a premium anyway and likely won't relect the reduced residuals for some time...but, you can still dicker!

applies. I have never understood homophobia. It seems to me for every gay guy out there that frees up one more girl for me! Support gay rights! <
Now there's a man who understands the big picture has his priorities in line!

Jerry McGeorge wrote:

Thank you! I appreciate that.
.
<<<Do you have a link to the story?>>> http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?artB693

No wonder you are the greek philosophizer. You do have a unique way of looking at things. Probably not too many people have looked at gay rights in this light, yet it is so true !
Joe Liu wrote:

Thank you for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated.
.
Is there anyone left out there who knows there is more to experiencing a fine car that can be found at the bottom of a spreadsheet? No matter how comforting they are to the accountants, the Lexus, the Acura, the Infinity have never come close to stirring the passion, the motion the pure thrill of driving that Mercedes does. It is timeless.
Of course this comes from a guy who is just as excited in my top-down TR6 as in the black leather of my W210. :^)
Scott D

It's all a matter of taste. You are correct that some people by cars by whatever makes their heart flutter. In the end, however, Toyota's rise to the #2 automaker in the world...just recently surpassing Ford after surpassing the Chrysler division of DCX just a few months before...proves that the masses buy cars based on, in this order, the following:
1. Quality 2. Quality 3. Quality 4. Style 5. Price
And I would argue that ANY year LS400 Lexus (1990-1994) is just as timeless as almost any Mercedes. Maybe moreso.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:51:11 GMT, in alt.auto.mercedes you wrote:

Of course.

Because the masses cannot do otherwise responsibly.

Argue all you want. As you said: "It's all a matter of taste."
Kal