MB Residuals Fall

MSRP for a 99 S430 was only about $69,000. Therefore the residual looks pretty good even now. The 16,000 overestimate of MSRP gives a very misleading result.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Trust me, they may have put double-glazed glass in it, but they engineered savings into other areas that will cost you an arm and a leg between 50,000 and 100,000 miles. I had FOUR of those cars (all the six cylinder versions, but the same 140 car). And trust me, my neighbor driving the 1990 Lexus LS400 has spent ONLY A FRACTION of what I spent along the way, even with warranties. I'm now driving a new LS430 and looking forward to much less cost and aggravation.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Yes, that sounds about right. I bot a '99 S320 in March of 1998 (they released the '99's early). The car had a sticker of $65,000 and I paid $59,000. So 10 grand more for an S420 sounds about right...maybe even a bit high.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Mine is the 99 S420 with most of the goodies, including integral phone, etc. I think this was pre price drop. Am I wrong? Either way, I think the logic holds up.

Reply to
REInvestments

I spent along the way, even with warranties. I'm now driving a new LS430 and looking forward to much less cost and aggravation. <

If you worked for a Lexus competitor, as I once did before retiring, the frustrating thing about all the Lexus customer & product data was that at three years in service Lexus LS's on average had fewer faults than did the comparable average Euro luxury car at 90 days. When doing some advanced market requirements research for my company I spent a few days at a major Lexus dealer in South Florida analyzing their resources. I noticed in their waiting area many plaques honoring owners of high mileage Lexus' vehicles, like 150k plus. Now, I know for MB this used to be a given, but to me it put the lie to a lot of talk that the LS's didn't hold up long term. Ain't true

Reply to
Jerry McGeorge

Consumer Reports called the first 1990 LS400 the best mass-production vehicle ever made. Over the years later model LS cars have maintained that. I will say that the older LS400 cars were not quite to "S" Class standards. It was more competition against the "E" Class. After the 2001 LS430 debuted, it competes with the "S" Class, albeit just a fraction less leg room in the rear.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

'99 S420 MSRP was $73,900 according to MB model overview:

?spec=2&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=99_S420&class=99_S&rnav=012345678&menu=5_2 h

Yeah, and they were discounted 6-7 grand off sticker.

?spec=2&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=99_S420&class=99_S&rnav=012345678&menu=5_2>

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Is there anyone left out there who knows there is more to experiencing a fine car that can be found at the bottom of a spreadsheet? No matter how comforting they are to the accountants, the Lexus, the Acura, the Infinity have never come close to stirring the passion, the motion the pure thrill of driving that Mercedes does. It is timeless.

Of course this comes from a guy who is just as excited in my top-down TR6 as in the black leather of my W210. :^)

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

It's all a matter of taste. You are correct that some people by cars by whatever makes their heart flutter. In the end, however, Toyota's rise to the #2 automaker in the world...just recently surpassing Ford after surpassing the Chrysler division of DCX just a few months before...proves that the masses buy cars based on, in this order, the following:

  1. Quality
  2. Quality
  3. Quality
  4. Style
  5. Price

And I would argue that ANY year LS400 Lexus (1990-1994) is just as timeless as almost any Mercedes. Maybe moreso.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Of course.

Because the masses cannot do otherwise responsibly.

Argue all you want. As you said: "It's all a matter of taste."

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

What were your expense items? I have the small V-8, but the electronics, hydraulics, and the like, are the same, I believe. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

Reply to
REInvestments

I had an expensive repair with the "auto-suck" closing doors. Brake pads NEVER lasted more than 10,000 miles, rotors usually every other pad time. Michelin Energy tires every 18,000 miles...and while my driving IS somewhat aggressive in the up-and-down hills of Pittsburgh, NO CAR ever ate brakes and tires like THAT. Also, I had a dash light problem that was expensive and a number of other "nickel-and-dime" stuff that never ended.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Thank you for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer