MB Transmission Problem

Hi, I have a 87 190D Turbo with a transmission problem. I was backing out of a parking space when lost all motion. No movement in reverse or any forward gear, as if transmission is in neutral. I dropped the pan and examined the linkage going to the valve body and everything is connected. There was no crap in the pan and fluid was clean. I installed a new filter along with new fluid and no change in performance. So, I believe the this may have something to do with primary pump failure. But, I'm also thinking that maybe the relief valve (for the primary pump) in the valve body failed? The transmission was rebuilt about 60k miles ago. Does anybody have ideas and/or confirmations about my diagnosis? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Walter

Has the gear shift lever disconnected itself from the tranny? ('81 300 SD)

Happened to me. Suddenly no go. The garage made a temporary fix with a vise-grip wrench but had to order the new part from Germany. The connections at the tranny had simply rusted away. The tranny itself was brand new (not rebuilt) a few years ago, much less than 60K miles ago.

Reply to
Gogarty

It the tranny is rebuilt only 62K miles ago and not too long ago... who did the job?

Primary pump pressure can be tested. Valve body is rarely rebuilt by tranny shops because that is where they cut corners. If the tranny is rebuilt by reputable shop, it would not die at 62K miles

Zero motion... it is possible the primary pump, but you need to test the pressure. Does the car feel as if it is in parking brake on... the feeling that the tranny is engaged but not moving? If so, valve body.

You are on the right track for the diagnosis. Last thing is the torque converter is bad... did you change this on rebuilt?

Reply to
Tiger