MB W124, 230 E

I want to know, if the 230E motor in MB W124 had injection or carburettor? The model is from 1986.
-- Jarek (SQ1EUO) snipped-for-privacy@stud.pam.szczecin.pl
snipped-for-privacy@wp.pl GG: 1277234
MB has always been fuel injection since the late 60's I believe...
GG: 1277234
Wow.. never heard of this... must be models for third world countries.

Well, it's for Poland, what do you expect?
cp
Makes Germany a third-world country...:-)
As said elsewhere, fuel injection came during the W123 time.
DAS
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:10:40 -0500, "Tiger" wrote:

My 115 has a Stromberg 175CD (175mm Constant Depression) carb, mercedes fitted them to 115's with manual and auto-chokes too. My Haynes Workshop manual for the '85-'93 W124 also has a carb section for 124's.
This is Europe, maybe due to the Californian emissions regulations they didn't ship carb models to the USA? The fuel metering in a carb is far cruder than even the pretty crude mechanical injection of the 60's I think. Mike
--
W126 300SE
W115 220/8
Just Mike wrote:

There was the W124 200 with carburettor.
Juergen

The big time for fuel injection in Germany started in the 80's when catalytic converters were introduced to market. Soon the so called "3 way cat" with lambda probe turned out to be the technology of choice. In order to maintain a certain exhaust emission quality you have to make sure that the ratio between oxygen and fuel stays exactly the same under all circumstances. This is not possible with old school mechanical carburators. So some manufacturers (VW) developed electronically controlled carburators, while most other companies jumped to electronic fuel injection. If my memory serves me right, Mercedes stopped selling petrol cars without catalytic converter in Germany in 1986. IIRC the carburator engines with six cylinders and 2,5 and 2,8 litres were never available in the W124, the 2 litre 4-cylinder was fitted with electronic fuel injection about one year after market introduction of the W124. The 2,8 litre carb. engine for the W126 S-class was replaced with the new 2.6 litre fuel injected engine (labeled 260SE) during the first big facelift of the W129 series. Mercedes may have produced carb. cars after that date for remote 3rd world countries, but the main markets (Western Europe, USA, Japan) demanded for a similar, higher level of enviromental friendliness at that time, so there was no big market for cars without cat.
1989 or so, Mercedes decided to throw the sign E for Einspritzung (Fuel injection) out of the car names, because they did not sell any cars without it. After this time, E stood for "executive class".
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
GG: 1277234
Tiger wrote:

No, the 230E = injection was introduced with the W123 series in July 1980 - the carburettor W123 230 went out of production in August 1980.
W124 always had 230 injection engines, the only carburettor engines were the 200 whose production ended in June 1990 - successor was 200E with injection.
Juergen
in 230E, the "E" stands for injection.

sq1euo wrote:

230 engine in W124 _always_ is injection.
Juergen
Exactly. Fuel injection started during W123. I had a W123 200E (after a 200D and 200..you can see how I graduated up the performance scale...). Later I had a W124 230E 1986, like the OP's. White paint/grey fabric.
DAS
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:11:12 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling" wrote:

The SL's of the 1960's (Pagoda) certainly had mechanical fuel injection fitted. As far as I am aware so did the Gullwing SL's too. Mike
--
W126 300SE
W115 220/8

AFAIK there was no W123 200E.
I remember the following petrol engines for the W123
200 Carb. (109 hp, I had one) 230 E (136 hp) 250 Carb. (150 hp) 280 Carb. (160 hp) 280 E (185 hp)
The 280 and 280 E engines were also available for the first series of W126 S-class
IIRC the 200 E engine was introduced in 1986 or so with the W124.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
My memory may be faulty, what with old age and this being about 20 yr ago. Now I have to think of a way of verifying this... I recall the colour (petrol) and that I had it 1984 - 86, but now you make me doubt the engine which I thought to be 200E until I read your post...Maybe it was 'only' a 200 after all?
BTW, the 'proper' spelling is carburettor. Alternative is carburetter. Correct American spelling is, I believe, carburetor, but might be carburator.... ;-) http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/carburettor?view=uk
DAS

Actually I thought this was the italian version, it sounds like "tintoretto";-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance