MBz 97 Error Message "Lamps defective"

Hi all,
I have a 1997 MBz E-420 with 125,000 miles.
....I recently got an ERROR MESSAGE "Lamps defective". I was on the message center (of the speedo) for a trip to the store.
Then, it went a way. I came back up one more time that same day and then nothing. There was a symbol with the message. It was a circle with a small square hat on top (maybe an inverted light bulb symbol). All my lights were working when I checked so I don't think I have a bulb problem. The car has 125,000 miles on it and it runs great. I just did a trip over 600 miles in one day and averaged MPG in the low to mid 20's.
Thanks in advance for any information for my issue above.
A proud E-class owner (I hope it lasts)
Hez of the Pacific NW
My 96 E320 does it all the time with the front left fog light. It'll do it for a day, I remind myself to pick up a bulb, but before I do, I stop getting the message and the light comes back on. Must be a faulty socket/sensor in the fog light.

Usually a dirty contact or loose bulb. Try unplugging and replugging it...
My lamp housing (passenger side rear) was bad. The plastic heats up and the connections go bad. I got a good used housing from ebay and installed it in 15 Mins (3 nuts hold it in place) at the cost of 35.00...
Look for brown/black discolored plastic around bulb socket...
Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Shawn wrote:

center break lamp or 1 of the rear plate lamps?
the case, minus a few cans!