MBz 97 Error Message "Lamps defective"

Hi all,

I have a 1997 MBz E-420 with 125,000 miles.

....I recently got an ERROR MESSAGE "Lamps defective". I was on the message center (of the speedo) for a trip to the store. Then, it went a way. I came back up one more time that same day and then nothing. There was a symbol with the message. It was a circle with a small square hat on top (maybe an inverted light bulb symbol). All my lights were working when I checked so I don't think I have a bulb problem. The car has 125,000 miles on it and it runs great. I just did a trip over 600 miles in one day and averaged MPG in the low to mid 20's.

Thanks in advance for any information for my issue above.

A proud E-class owner (I hope it lasts)

Hez of the Pacific NW

Reply to
boltons

My 96 E320 does it all the time with the front left fog light. It'll do it for a day, I remind myself to pick up a bulb, but before I do, I stop getting the message and the light comes back on. Must be a faulty socket/sensor in the fog light.

Reply to
Shawn

center break lamp or 1 of the rear plate lamps?

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Usually a dirty contact or loose bulb. Try unplugging and replugging it...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

My lamp housing (passenger side rear) was bad. The plastic heats up and the connections go bad. I got a good used housing from ebay and installed it in 15 Mins (3 nuts hold it in place) at the cost of 35.00...

Look for brown/black discolored plastic around bulb socket...

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga