Melting controllers

Hi, I'm new to this group so I'll start by saying hello .Hello.... I've not long bought a 2000 E320 saloon. The lamp failure light came up recently but checked the lamps and all was ok...... My o/s brake light
has now stopped working completely. Called Mercedes dealer in an attempt to locate fuses (stupid me !) to be told its a controller melted, common fault, replace 40+vat + fitting. Can this be right ? What happened to Mercedes design quality ?????