Merc Commercial 1820 Turbo Truck

I have a problem with burning out clutches with no possible reason as to where the problem may be.

I drive with care cus they are not cheap, and i am on my 3rd one now in 9 months. The Truck is used in the local area to me, Dorset, in the UK without too many hills or steep climbs. I can see this group has a lot of posts concerning cars, i wonder if there are any posters with similar experiences to mine.

Thank You Michael

Reply to
Michael Lancaster

Does your model have a clutch brake fitted? Fully depressing the clutch activates the clutch brake and will quickly destroy a clutch if used at road speed. The clutch brake should only be used to engage the crawler gear when stationary. Not all models have a clutch brake fitted.

Other causes can be a warped flywheel with only partial clutch contact.

Your driving style maybe at fault, overuse of the clutch using the engine to brake the vehicle versus using the service brakes.

Not using the clutch (except 1st/reverse) will also cause premature failure.

Reply to
Roger