merc star removal

Page 1 of 2
anyone know how to remove the bonnet star on 1994 220E petrol 124?

Why? Broken it?
DAS
"horace13" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
Why? You want to wear it around your neck?

SEC transformation?
Jorge Tang Dr_Chino wrote:

a gimmick some years age in UK may still happen someone broke mine but I have not yet fixed BUT Haynes Manual says From the underside of the bonnet, pull the spring down using heavy duty pliers, against considerable spring tension, and turn 90degs to the left Make sure the spring clip enters the grooves of the rosette pull the star upwards from the grill surround to remove
horace13 wrote:

have much trouble... jk

I have lost four of them and no longer wear one.
Gogarty wrote:

I actually heard of one guy who wired his hood ornament to an electrical source. I can't swear if it's true or what the liability would be, but it was a funny story. I think the fad has died down somewhat here in the US now, though.
says...

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

Fully remove. I have a feeling one person is responsible since all of them disappeared in the same block of the same Manhattan street.
Two of mine were fully removed, one was snapped off. Cop friend said the little buggers twist and twist to wind the spring tighter, eventually it causes the mount to twist under the hood and the whole thing pops out. No need to open the hood. The temptation to hook mine up to a generously sized capacitor was REALLY strong. I didn't, but it would have been so satisfying...We foiled most of this kind of theft by bending the ears of the mount after installing it.
Rochelle
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

spring for another one.
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com writes:

What do these little mutants *do* with 'em once they've got them, though?
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's all the rage to pry off the stylized "H" badges from the trunk lids of Hondas. I see a lot of Hondas with a pair of holes where the badge used to be. I never see anyone walking around with one on a chain around his neck, and aside from using them for a primitive form of jewelry, I don't know what else anyone would do with these.
Geoff
--
"Take my archetypes...please!" -- Henny Jungman

Geoff Miller wrote:

YEARS ago in Alabama, these thieves (also pried the Buick emblem off the hubcabs) and reportedly made belt buckles from them. I never did see a belt buckle or anything else using these stolen vehicle parts. Perhaps it's a type of initiation rite for a "club"? Who can collect the most?

Ouch, I lost a set of buick wheel hubs myself off a 1968 GS. Damn little chislers!
writes:

The days of the star mascot are numbered due to european pedestrian safety regualtions. Car bonnets are getting lower at the front too in Europe for the same reason. They will be fiting sprung matresses to the front of cars soon.
My feeling is that the next S class will be the last Mercedes with a star mascot. The C class coupe doesn't even have one now and you can swap the star for one of those badges as they are the same size. I am considering doing this myself due to the aggrevation of people interfering with it.
writes:

I am in the UK and the European regulations are getting tighter and tighter. Bonnets are getting lower and lower in an attempt to reduce injury. The driving force is not regualtion but the ability to get a good safety rating. In fact I am pretty sure the mascot would not be permitted on a one off custom vehicle because it has edges with a radius of less than 2mm. I could be wrong of course, but even though it is spring loaded its bount to increase the risk of injury. Also as designs advance there are less obvious places to put them. They used to be on top of the radiator grille but now the grilles don;t have a top the mascot is actually on the bonnet. I ordered an SLK 350 this week and there would be no logical place on that bonnet to put a mascot.
1) Nice motor. Enjoy!
2) If Merc wanted to retain the upright star on 'sporty' models they would find a way.
DAS
"Gordon Hudson" < snipped-for-privacy@usenet3.hostroute.co.uk> wrote in message
news:44184c8e$0$1175$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk...

Yes, I suppsoe the could. Maybe make a smaller one. My two motoring memories as a child in the early 70's are:
1. Passing a big yellow Mercedes every sunday on the way to church. It had enamelled hub caps and the big grille with the star on it.
2. Pressing my nose against the glass oft he local Rolls Royce/Bentley dealer who had a showroom right in the middle of town like a shop front. To this day I still fancy a Bentley. An 80's Brooklands would be nice. Maybe one day.
I am waiting on the SLK coming. I ordered one with all the add ons apart from the satnav. I like gadgets and I think I could have some fun with the roof operation from the key, spooking people by making it go up and down from my office window.
Old Bentleys are much cheaper than new SLKs. So why are buying an SLK????
Maybe the running costs put you off?
news:441934b4$0$1171$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk...