Mercedes 190E 1985

Hi,
Is the Mercedes 190E 1985 (auto) a reliable car? Anything I should look out for?
Are there other Mercs in this price range that I should also consider?
Regards,
Han.
It's a decent car if it has the 6 cylinder motor.P.

Actually I like the 4 cylinder better... The 6 has chronic head gasket problems and is awfully large in the engine compartment of such a small car. The 4 is a a but gutless, but more efficient, easier to work on, and mine runs great :~)

Climate control issues, front suspension issues, trasmission/driveline issues...
The six cylinder wasn't available in the 190E until 1986, and at that time it was an option. The 2.6 wasn't an official model till the next year, 1987. The chassis was originally designed for the 4 cylinder and it's quite adequate for the car. The six is smoother on the highway.
Hi,
I'm actually more interested in the reliability rather than the performance.
Han.
My wife had an 87 190E2.3 4 banger and loved it, and it was peppy enough fo rme. The problems we had were, idler pulley, valve seals, AC, and a couple of pwer windows. If it had a 6 in it I don't know how you'd have space to work on it. But I don't know how close an 87 is to an 85.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

<han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi Hank,
Was your wife's car the automatic version?
Regards,
Han.
Yes it was an automatic.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR
<han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
mine ( none auto )
replaced water pump ( barings gone) both front springs ( one collapsed whilst I was driving )
Also replaced water pump on my C180 too, it seems they fail after 100k
toad

My 1986 is an auto.
The engine runs great (head was redone at 75K miles). I have done the following all at 110Kmiles.
Water pump Serpentine belt tensioner Rebushed alternator Door detent replacement (rear) Tires Sunroof drive cable
Also the car needs a new valve cover gasket, and there is a small crack in the thermostat housing (I can see a drop of AF there).
I probably need to do some front suspension stuff too pretty soon as I do get a clunk from the front end when going over certain bumps...
Over all I remain very happy with the car. It's comfortable, a great highway cruiser and good on gas compared to previous Muscle car.
At 20 years, be sure to check the suspension components. A suspension rebuild of those old rubber parts can run $1000.00 in a blink.