Mercedes 190E, 1986, Ignition Barrel, key won't turn

Can anyone please help?
The ignition key won't turn in the ignition barrel (it is not a steering lock problem), apparently the barrel is faulty.
I would change the barrel but to do so I must get the key to turn to
"position 1" first. Has anyone got any ideas on how to do this please? Everyone I have asked said it was a big job and have asked lots of money to repair the problem. Please help!
Thanks
Mano
Get some graphite lock lubricant... spray alot into the key hole. Then Insert key in and out to spread lubricant and work lock mechanisms...do this like 10 times.
Then insert key... hold steering wheel in middle of the two lock tension.. and try to wiggle the key in all sort of direction to turn it on. up, down. diagonally in all 360 degree of angles.
Don't give up too soon.........it took me about half an hour to get it unstuck and in the right position to get it out. Ah yes, patience is a virtue. Peter