Mercedes 280E Auto (Petrol) Running Problem

Please can somebody help
I have a 1994 280E Auto (petrol) estate which suddenly lost a lot of performance.
1/. The engine won't idle at all. 2/. Once started I have to keep it alive with the throttle or the engine
will stall. 3/. It won't rev above 4000 rpm. If the engiine approaches these revs the engine begins to stumble and will cut out even while driving. 4/. There is a strong smell of unburnt fuel at idle, like the fuel mixture is wrong.
I am thinking the EMU might have defaulted into a "Get Home" mode...If this is correct can it be reset and how?
Kind Regards
Mark Lilley

Pull the plugs and examine them, work from there...
Marty