Mercedes 300E 2.8L Differential on a 2.6L.

Can anyone tell me what I need to replace on a Mercedes 2.6L to fit the differential from a 2.8L?

I was told that all I need to replace is the axle shaft? Is this correct?

Thanks.

Reply to
RStuart
1st, you need to give more info. I have no idea what country you are in or if the cars are USA models. In the USA: Having a 2.6L engine means you have a 190E 2.6 in a 201 body or a 300E 2.6 in a 124 body.

2nd: What is this 2.8L differential coming out of?

Reply to
Karl

Sorry....

I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E 2.6L with a bad differential. A 1993 Mercedes

300E 2.8L with differential was given to me to replace the damaged differential in my car.

I want to know what parts (axle and/or driveshaft) needs to replaced in the

300E 2.6L so I can use the differential from the 300E 2.8L. Both cars are US models.

Thanks.

Reply to
RStuart

I was told that due to a difference in horse power between the two cars your car would not accelerate the way you would expect. This may not be a problem for you. Just a heads up.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Hello,

I didn't know that there was ever a W124 with 2,8-litre motor for the USA. The 2,8-litre motor was fitted to W123 body prior to 1985 in the USA.

Oliver

RStuart wrote:

Reply to
OM

The last of the USA 124's were 2.8's and 3.2's. They were easy to spot by the vin number: WDBEA30 were 300E 3.0, WDBEA26 were 300E 2.6 WDBEA28 were E320 2.8, WDBEA32 were 300E 3.2

RStuart, in response to the previous post about ratios..... clean off the bottom left and bottom right rear corners where the cover bolts on and you will find the ratio stamped in it.

Compare them.....

Reply to
Karl