Mercedes 300E Filter update & Question

Hi again.... I installed the new filter near the pumps. Everything is o.k. back there... The car starts up and runs ok, but after a few minutes the check engine light appears and stays on. After I turn the car off, the light comes back on once the car is started. But the car still operates fine. Isnt there another fuel filter in the car somwwhere before the motor? Or what else could this be and why does the check engine light appear? I appreciate everyones help-Chuck Monmouth COunty NJ (I went to the MB dealer aroudn the corner for the MB Fuel Filter)-

Reply to
Chuckyg

It could be any number of things. You've got to find out what the error code (or codes) is on the OBD. With a 300E I'm assuming that it has flash codes. I've inserted a quick why to get the codes from an old post. Alternatively, take it to a place like Autozone and they'll read the OBD for free.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Someone else told me that the tank may have to be taken down and replaced or boiled. I know that it is fuel starvation at this point. It has all of the symptoms. There was a little black "sut" in the old filter, which leads me to believe that the tank is bad. HOw hard is it to take the tank out of this car? Can I do anythign else about this? -Chuck- NJ- 89 300E

130K
Reply to
Chuckyg

"Chuckyg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Sounds like you might have bad fuel hoses (rotting internally). Drain the tank and replace the hoses.

Reply to
George Mann