Mercedes 300E High hydrocarbon

Page 2 of 2
Guenter, Thanks. I will try what you said, change the plugs and take it for a long drive, then go for emission at a different place this time, most probablly at Econo Oil at University and Weber. Will let you know what
happens. Canadian Tire owns Parts Source and have the same outfit. Thanks anyway.
Neil

Run a tank of premium mixed with some gas line antifreze through the car. That helps.
If it hasn't already been said, change the air filter too.
Thanks Richard, I will try that too. Could not get Bosch H9DC spark plugs so bought Champion eqvivalent copper ones. I had put platinum plugs and may be thats why HC went up as Guenter suggested.

no question, just make sure for your re-test that they take you 'right away' after you get the cat good and hot..... NO! lolligagging for coffe or what have you :-)
cheers and good luck
guenter
Richard Sexton, Guenter, Thanks for the help. I changed plugs and air filter, took it for emission at Econo Lube on University and Regina.. It FAILED at HC 81. Then the guy changed oil and put in thick synthatic oil (PZ26) instead of regular oil and did retest. It just PASSED at HC 52. Allowable limit is 52. At least I dont have to worry for 2 more years. Just for information, I have learnt that synthatic oil burns much less than regular oil, so HC is reduced. It cost $50.00 more, but saves the other hassels of adjustments. Cheers.

glad to hear it. Interesting about the synthetic oil, it does make sense. However, do tell what the oil was. Pz26 is the filter for the syn oil I will likely need to do this for my next emission test.
cheers, guenter
Hi, The invoice just says Syntec- 57238 for oil and PZ26 for filter. You can varify by phoning Econoy Lube, Waterloo. Phone # 746 2677. I should have asked them, but is a thicker oil though. Cheers & hope your car passes without a hitch. Neil
Guenter Scholz wrote:

Check out this site:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_001121.htm
Neil, interesting compared to your findings. big difference of course is the age of the engine and, possible/probable oil leaking into the cylinders via the valve stem/seals. Because the syn oil remains more viscous it appears to make a significant difference in HC levels on old engines
thanks for that, guenter

I have to put a liter every 2000-2500 km. How much did your valve seat job cost?
If it is a CIS fuel injection, then you need to adjust the fuel mixture. If it is fuel injection, then you need to check timing.
Tiger wrote:

I dont know how to check if it is CIS. It does have fuel injectors. Any idea how to adjust fuel mixture? I understand it might be factory set. Thanks.
I meant electronic fuel injection where you need to check timing.
CIS has a round fuel distributor in the middle of enigne or on the side... there is an allen key in the middle recessed... it is best to have a garage adjust this with their exhaust analyzer.