MERCEDES 300SE - WHAT MEAN "SE" ???

On start,sorry on my english.... My car is mercedes s class 300 se and I want to know what mean "SE"??
Thanke you !!!

S represents the top of line model E stands for for the german word for fuel injection

Besides that I'd like to mention: If you are talking about the 80's and 90's S-Class cars, there were only two 300 Models, SE and SEL. The SE was the shorter one, the SEL had the longer wheelbase. The 300 E was the smaller E class, the 300 GE was the 4WD vehicle. All shared the same engine.
Frank

Hmmm....I guess that my 1980 300SD isn't an "S" Class car. :-)
Bob Moore

I suppose Genscher is not an U.S. resident, and the 300 SD officially was not sold in the EU;-)
Frank

Don't be finicky: the SD is only a diesel version of the 300S.
Try took at these cars from a European perspective ;-)
There is a body shape which comes with a vast choice of engines from small to big, in diesel and petrol. Nowadays there are more 'extras' included up the engine scale, but I am pretty sure it wasn't as pronounced in the 'old' days.
Got loads of money, you buy a big engine. You don't, you buy a small engine.
DAS
..."took" = "to look"... (groan).
DAS

up
'old'
Is the 300 for 3 liter size? Were there no 280 (2.8 liter) engines in USA imports? We have a 1982 280SE (2.8 liter)
Don
There were no official 280SE in USA. These are grey market cars that people brings over into USA and passed the DOT & EPA. The reasons people did this is because the car is cheaper but has alot more power than a 500SE(L) engine plus better fuel mileage.

When Mercedes introduced the W126 series, the smallest engine was a 2.8 litre engine with carburators and some 160 hp, the name of the car was 280S. The 2.8 litre engine with fuel injection and some 185 hp was called 280 SE. The 280S did not sell well, because it delivered less power at much higher fuel consumption, and taxes were the same. In 1985/1986 the W126 underwent a major facelift and all gasoline engines were equipped with fuel injection. The 2.8 carburator engine was replaced with a 2.6 litre fuel injection engine, the car was named 260SE. The old 2.8 litre injection engine was replaced by a 3.0 litre injection engine, the cars were called 300SE. I do not know if the 280S and the 260SE were sold in the US.
If my memory serves me right, the W140 series (introduced around 1989) was initially available in Germany with a 3.0 engine (300SE) and a 2.8 engine (300SE 2.8). Around 1992 Mercedes changed the nomenclature a little bit and replaced the 3.0 engine with a 3.2 engine. By that point, all Mercedes cars were fuel injected, so the letter "E" for "Einspritzung" became obsolete. The new S-Class 3.2 litre car was simply called S320.
BTW: Of course Mercedes always offered bigger engines for the S-Classes of the '80s and '90s
Frank

In the US we had a 155hp 380SE and 380SEL, a 184 hp 500SEL and 500SEC, and a 300SDL and after 1985 we has a 420SEL 420SEC, 560SEL 560SEC, and 350SDL
Sorry, before 1986 there was also a 300SD
wrote in message

Don't forget the 300SD and 300SDL.
And the E300D. And the 300 wagons.
Genscher wrote:

S = Super, ie. top of the line. E = Einspritzen, German for fuel injection.