Mercedes A160 2001 model

Has anyone come across a gearbox failure on this model up to now? Mercedes/Chrysler have not answered my question. This vehicle was only 4.5 years old and did only 53000kms in simple town and country driving
- no towage or heavy loads.
Hi,

I used to own an A160 but got rid of it recently due to recurring problems. I've not had the specific problem that you've reported but I know it's one (of the many) known issues with the car. To be honest I can't remember where I read about it, I think it was somewhere in www.baby-benz.com or maybe just postings on this newsgroup. From memory it seems to affect cars with 25-35K miles on the clock and results in something in the gearbox being replaced with the equivalent part being made from Titanium (!).
I did find that postings to baby benz gave good quality and helpful responses; it might be a good place to start.
HTH.