Mercedes-Benz, Superdealer

The new Mercedes-Benz 'showroom' at Brooklands in southern England is nearing completion. Then there will be two more in Manchester and Birmingham.
Is the way forward or hubris?
No word if they plan something like this in Germany.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1521257,00.html
Earlier I had read that they plan to have 'factory collections' from here, too.
DAS
Biggest showroom on the planet
By Joseph Dunn of The Sunday Times
This is most definitely the way forward.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

here,
taking
and
opened in

summer the

the
first
areas in

complex will

well as

action.
that
in Kent

to half

exhibit cars

be more

in a

down
McLaren
include
that
how
and
surface
instructor, to

the
customer
appears to

experience"
mega-dealership.
rich
centre
Manchester
cars are

their
and
the
test it on

Mercedes'
circuit in

sophistication of

rather
part of

mega-dealership. The

years.
all 159

outlets
owning
seen
dealers
20
sacked
just a

people
dealer.
of the

exemption
laws,
their
buy any

curbed
stimulated.
Mercedes
tail
Automotive
dealer
unimaginable to

than
desperate
groups has

the
Brooklands."
the
work with

Brooklands and

buy the

motoring
buy
between
knows,"
either
Test tracks? Oh my...
With amenities like that I suspect that many customers will be willing to travel significant distances to patronize these superdealers.
Of course we will not get them in the USA. Anti-Trust laws or something dumb like that.
.
On 2005-03-14 09:50:18 -0800, "greek_philosophizer"

Of course if the cars are crap, it probably won't help much...

Why? Do they control more than 2% of the means of production?
Here in Canada MB owns the big Toronto dealer. And we have almost identical anti-trust laws.
Richard Sexton wrote:

I do not know the exact reason. I thought it had to do with well organized dealer lobbying.
I do not think there is a single USA MB dealership owned by DC.
Of course this could be because the dealers provide such superior service that MB does not wish to rock the spaceship.
.
--

Nothing is the way it is because that is the way it has to be.

1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts
Definitely the future way of selling and servicing automotive products. The UK isn't burdened with the US style "franchise system" (of independent, usually family owned, dealers) which itself is slowly being replaced by corporate mega dealers that have hundreds of stores selling multiple auto brands.
Let's face it guys, cars are just another retail product, they just cost more than a big screen TV!