Mercedes biodiesel / diesel fuel system schematic

Page 2 of 2

I've been told that it's household heating oil. But if so, it seems strange to classify it as "diesel," even if it's chemically similar, since that would imply that it's used in engines.
Somebody else in this thread said that #1 diesel is occasionally seen at gas stations in the western U.S., but I've never seen it on the West Coast; maybe it can be found in some of the inland western states. I don't know why a formulation with less cetane would be necessary, though.
In my experience diesel pumps are always labeled either "#2 diesel," or more commonly, just "diesel."
Geoff
--
"The interesting thing about Santa Cruz is that it provides enduring
evidence that people who are as dumb as a bowl of mice can make a
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Don't underestimate the amounts of diesel going to trucks, buses, boats and tractors. Diesel getting a little more popular in the consumer car business might not make that much of a difference.
Ximinez
I haven't. Diesel in commercial vehicles has been the norm for many years. Consumption of diesel in relation to petrol was in proportion to or smaller than the refinery fraction but isn't any more.
That was the postulate anyway.
DAS
"The Spanish Inquisition" < snipped-for-privacy@myown.mailcan.com> wrote in message
news:44ef5b51$0$4524$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

That's true. The thing is, there hasn't been a sudden spike in that sort of usage that would explain an equally-sudden increase in the price of diesel relative to gasoline.
Geoff
--
"The interesting thing about Santa Cruz is that it provides enduring
evidence that people who are as dumb as a bowl of mice can make a

taxes haven't changed the price rise is because not enough #2 oil is in storage for the upcoming season and speculators are buying futures in hopes of a cold winter straining what is in storage. Since home heating fuel and the diesel we use is essentially the same this game is forcing the prices up for us
On 26 Aug 2006 10:32:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

the recent spike in diesel relative to gas is a seasonal thing as refineries shift to making more diesel in anticipation of the heating season
jdoe wrote:

Heating oil was the one I forgot. I remember reading about oil prices reacting to American winters. Apparently you guys use a lot of the stuff :(
Ximinez
Yes, but that's not new either, is it?
How much cheaper is diesel that 95-octane in your area (of the NL, for those who don't realise that's where you are)? (I can't remember if you told us already whether the tax concession on diesel has been reduced.)
DAS
"The Spanish Inquisition" < snipped-for-privacy@myown.mailcan.com> wrote in message
news:44f16be9$0$4519$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Diesel's about 30 eurocents cheaper per litre than 95. Around 1.05 per litre vs. 1.35. This is compensated by a much higher road tax on diesel cars. The diesel fuel itself is taxed less heavily than gasoline, hense the difference in price.
For this reason diesel is very popular with people who drive a lot. LPG carries an even higher road tax (as well as other disadvantages), but is a lot cheaper at the pump at about 50 cts/litre.
Heating oil is cheaper than diesel, but it's marked with a red dye and apparently the penalties if you get caught using that are draconian. I had my car checked for that once, in Belgium, about ten years ago.
Ximinez

Cause biodiesel can be REALLY cheap if you makeit yourself from WVO?
I agree you don't need the rube goldberg stuff. But you know men and their toys...

When I made biodiesel from WVO my total cost was about 90 cents per gallon compared to about $3 per gallon for petro diesel. The savings is substantial when you have two diesels (I have an '81 240D and an '81 300D) both of which run perfectly on straight biodiesel made with a modified "Diesel Secret" formula. I found that running regular petro diesel once every couple of months proved that the biodiesel was a fine product but tended to take longer on warmup than standard petro diesel.
My problem was that my local supplier, a Chinese restaurant, began giving me too much "junk" and before I knew it I had something like 100 gallons of just plain junk which I had to mix with sawdust before dumping it into their restaurant dumpster in big plastic bags.
Other than that the stuff is fine but is a bit harder starting in colder weather. I really think I would have a startup/shutdown system on standard petro diesel if I lived in a colder climate. Naturally, just my opinion.