Mercedes Diesels of the 1980s

Page 1 of 3
"...it's hard to beat an old Mercedes diesel. The diesels from the early 1980s, including the 300SD, 300D, 240D, 300TD, and 300CD are relatively inexpensive to purchase,
and they are still reliable cars after all these years..."
Continued: http://snipr.com/MercedesDiesels

......... sure, but what about the rust
cheers

Rust is a problem for some countries. Not for mediterranean (or southern USA) countries. If you live in north Germany or Holland, just as an example, that's a problem. But is there a better model for that weather, with a minimum of 25 years old car model? Probably some Saab... but the engine is a real problem to sort up. So, in average, it's still a good choice.

Undercoating every couple of years or the Delorean. *If* you can find one. The frame will be toast though if you don't undercoat.

Reliable, but slower than hell. 0 to 60 is measured with a CALENDAR!

Not all that slow in acceleration and perfectly drivable if you get a turbodiesel.

< Not all that slow in acceleration and perfectly drivable if you get a turbodiesel.
Depends on what you are used to driving. Compared to A Yugo they are just a little slow.

Here's a 1986 Yugo:
http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=19679
The Yugo does 0-60 in 16.8 secs. The MB 300SD comes in around 12. That's substantially FASTER. And for an S class car that weighs twice as much and will comfortably transport 4 or 5 people in roomy luxury, while getting 26 MPG, I'd say it's pretty damn good.
My 1980 200D took a week to get to 60 mph (or 100 km/h, since I was in Germany at the time).
'Twas lucky I was living and working in flat country (Schleswig-Holstein/HH). My colleagues based elsewhere who had the same model and had to drive around Bavaria etc weren't so happy.
Juergen might chime in about his 240D, which took only 6 days to get there, as it had a slightly bigger engine.
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling ha scritto:

I own an Hymermobil B 540 L-DS, based on the Mercedes Benz 207D van. Same engine (more or less) as the W123 series: 616.934 or 207 D30 type. 64 HP, 2.3 l diesel engine, 4 gear manual 'getriebe' (gear box for MB), with a 2.8 ton vehicle. Maximum speed is around 105 km/h. With pistons knocking to the door to enter in the vehicle... :-)
http://web.tiscali.it/stefanocordera/images/Hymermobil%20B544L-DS.jpg
As you can see, the aerodinamic profile is as good as a brick. :-D
Yeah, slowly, but it goes anywhere. Never stopping... I can remember the discussion with the owner of another (not MB) RV, on the San Bernardo Pass (2.473 m above sea level) in August 2003 (extremely hot summer): his RV was pretty and brand new, but it took him 3 attempts to arrive to the Colle (that's the Italian version of this alpin pass). He had to go back twice to fix mechanical inconveniences that prevented him from arrival. I arrived (at 15 km/h, with a thick, black cloud of diesel behind me... :-( ) at first attempt. And BTW the thick black cloud is just because my diesel pump is still mechanical, with no air pressure correction: the amount of fuel injected is the same at any level of pressure...
On Nov 25, 11:54pm, Cordy

What is your average fuel consumption rate?
heav ha scritto:

9.5 km / l. Not that bad. I had a consistent improvement with new injectors (140.000 km) of a different kind: the mech used the type used in C220, which is also less noisy than the original. No additional modification was needed.
:-)
Because I ran my car in very carefully I could hit a top speed of 143 km/h, making me the envy of several of my colleagues, whohad been less careful with their cars...
BTW, "Getriebe" just means "gear box" or "the gears" etc in general. Nothing specifically MB about it.
DAS
"Cordy" < snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.it.invalid> wrote in
message news:492d00b1$0$11379$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.it...
Dori A Schmetterling ha scritto:

I don't speak German and I did not learn it at school. But I was working for Mannesmann Kienzle and I can remember a lot of different things addressed in the inventory as 'getriebe', so I always translate it as 'device', in general, much more than 'gear' or 'gear box'. Thanx: I know something new, now.
The word is also related to "drive".
One thing it's not is a "device". That could be "Gert". Or even "Apparat"....
(Nouns are always capitalised.)
Given your then workplace I am not surprised, however, that Getriebe was widely used.
If you are interested, here is an excellent free dictionary:
http://dict.leo.org /
DAS
"Cordy" < snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.it.invalid> wrote in
message news:492e5e17$0$14492$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.it...
Dori A Schmetterling ha scritto:

Oooppss... getriebe and geraete... I was confusign them! :-D Ok, NOW I know. BTW, did you see the new typing convention, using diphtong (?) instead of the umlaute? Just because my keyboard doesn't easily make me type one....
"... the new typing convention..."
You'll be pleased to know that replacing , and with ae, oe and ue is not at all new. It has been the official German way for ever... In fact, sometimes the 'long' rendering is the correct one.
A prominent example is the former majoe chemical company called Hoechst (or Farbwerke Hoechst). It was based in and named after the town of Hchst.
I wish the other languages had such a convention. E.g. Scandinavian languages, but they don't appear to.
BTW, it is easy to create umlauts and other special characters on an 'Anglophone' keyboard. Just go the regional and keyboard settings.
To visualise where these characters appear, download Microsoft Visual Keyboard.
DAS
"Cordy" < snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.it.invalid> wrote in
message news:49316268$0$11386$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.it...
On Nov 25, 11:54pm, Cordy

Wow, I've never seen one of these. What year is yours? I want one.
runbiodiesel ha scritto:

You're a little bit too late to buy a new one... mine has been sold as new in 1982... ;-) If you want mine, well... I'm in Italy. Where are you from? :-D But looking to your nickname, you don't like it. It's got a mechanical Bosch injection pump which is incompatible with biodiesel.

CUTE.