Mercedes Diesels of the 1980s

Page 2 of 3

But I didn't mind as I got there in style...
BTW, funny time warp zone you must be in if seven days do not equal a week...:-)
DAS
"Up North" < snipped-for-privacy@canospam.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@enews5.newsguy.com...

Here's a 1986 Yugo:
http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car 679
The Yugo does 0-60 in 16.8 secs. The MB 300SD comes in around 12. That's substantially FASTER. And for an S class car that weighs twice as much and will comfortably transport 4 or 5 people in roomy luxury, while getting 26 MPG, I'd say it's pretty damn good.
==========TURBO Diesel. I never said the Mercedes was anything but a GREAT car. FAST is not one of the qualities one associates with the Mercedes Diesel of the 80's and 12 seconds to 60 is not the conventional diesel. It's more like 30 seconds.

So who said it's not fair to include the turbo diesel? They were very poplular MB diesels of the 80s, which is the topic of the thead, were they not? In fact, they were the majority of the diesel cars sold by MB here in the USA in the 80's. And I would say 0 to 60, not only beats Yugos, but is also not "so slow you need a calendar"
It's more like 30

So who said it's not fair to include the turbo diesel?
The topic was the CONVENTIONAL Diesel. Which made a corpse look fast.

Apparently you have either a reading comprehension problem or are ignorant of MB models and history. From the very first post:
Topic: Mercedes Diesels of the 1980's
"...it's hard to beat an old Mercedes diesel. The diesels from the early 1980s, including the 300SD, 300D, 240D, 300TD, and 300CD are relatively inexpensive to purchase, and they are still reliable cars after all these years..."
Of the 5 models mentioned in that post, 4 were turbo diesels.

Apparently you have either a reading comprehension problem or are ignorant of MB models and history. From the very first post:
Topic: Mercedes Diesels of the 1980's
"...it's hard to beat an old Mercedes diesel. The diesels from the early 1980s, including the 300SD, 300D, 240D, 300TD, and 300CD are relatively inexpensive to purchase, and they are still reliable cars after all these years..."
Maybe you MISS them point entirely that the comment was about the CONVENTIONAL DIESEL being slow. I know a guy who put a turbo on a 1970 Allis Chalmers tractor and it would do 0 to 60 in 13 seconds. The point is that the NON-Turbo MB diesels were slower than a dead rabbit. Even snails would pass them! Nobody said they weren't reliable. You could buy one at age 17, and by the time you got to 60 at age 90, it was still running perfectly. Great cars, last forever, good mileage. BUT they gave a new definition to the word SLOW. Some years ago a friend of mine asked me to drive his MB to the dealership following him. I was PASSED by a guy driving a Model T Ford like I was PARKED! I had my toes on the firewall. The ONLY thing I have ever driven AS SLOW was one of the electric carts in Lowe's when I got hurt in a car accident. Nope - maybe I would have won a drag against the MD diesel.
You don't know what slow is. I had a 1956 180D. It had a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel. 48 HP on a good day. I once got it up to 75MPH. I would guess the 0-60 time was in the 30 second area. It did average 42 MPG for 80000 miles though. Cheap to operate on diesel which cost about 15 cents/gal then.
EJ in NJ
krp wrote:

.... right,
now we had it tough. Had to get up 1/2 hr before we went to bed to turn the engine on and get it up to speed before we could drive off. Drive off, well, that meant we had to push it first and then jump in so that the gears engaging would not cause the motor to stall......
cheers

Ever drive a Subaru 360?
--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)
Blake wrote:

Guys, guys (and any Gals who are reading)...
This is not Mercedes-specific. All old normally aspirated diesel cars were slow, and there were other cars besides Merc, although they were leaders in the field.
I don't suppose there were many non-Merc ordinary diesels in the US in the 80s and before.
DAS
"Ernie Willson" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:492fba73$0$5520$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com...

I kid you not, when I was driving my friend's MB - I was passed by an old Model T Ford. I did my best to not let him pass. He blew my doors off.
My dad had a Fiat 500... that thing rust out like crazy in NJ.
How old is/was it?
Older Fiats (and Alfa Romeos, regrettably) were famous for becoming rust buckets fairly soon.
Jokes about Alfasuds rusting on the assembly line were rife...
I think they rusted less in Italy, with its drier climate, but were pretty bad in wetter Britain.
DAS
"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:493ef2b8$0$4918$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net...
I believe that was a 1974... by the time we traded it in about 1980... monster holes everywhere. I don't mean 1" holes... I mean 6"... maybe 3" by 5" holes...
Yup, that fits...
:-( DAS
"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4941291f$0$14276$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net...

They don't exactly get a lot of snow and salt in most of Europe you know.
Used to!
A lot more gritting rather than salting now, in the UK at least. I am sure I read that Fiat's galvanising was poor and not as extensive as it ought to have been.
DAS
"fred" < snipped-for-privacy@bedrock.rock> wrote in message

Galvanising? Fiat? I had a 73 firat I bought in 76. a 124 Coupe (great car wich I still had it). I got it for a couple of hundred dollars because this 3 year old car had rusted out rockers and a fender. In 3 years they'd becomne totally perforated. Oh and 2nd gear was worn out. It was owned by a local racer.
At that time only Audi galvanizes panels or so I'm lead to believe.