Mercedes Diesels of the 1980s

Page 3 of 3
On Feb 3, 9:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Yeah, I don't know what they did or didn't do for corrosion protection, but those Fiat's were rust buckets. I had a 76 124 Spyder. Had it Ziebarted, which may have helped and was smart enought to get rid of it in maybe 4 years or less. At that point, it didn't have any rust yet. But just about every year, I'd have to replace one or more calipers, because they seized. Had a cylinder head gasket go, with no overheating preceding it. It did happen while my friend had borrowed the car and was driving in some mountain areas with grades. I know he had a habit of letting the engine lug, instead of downshifting, and always wondered if that could have contributed to the head gasket failing. This was at maybe 60K miles and when they removed the head, they said the valve seals were shot, so had to have that done. They asked if I hadn't change the oil, like it was my fault. But I had changed the oil at or before schedule every time. Just another example of fine Fiat quality. Did I mention the time the clutch cable broke in a parking garage in NYC?
Add pictures here
✖
Yup, that's a Fiat. My timing belt broke at 79K miles. Munched a couple of valves and buggered the head. Had the head rebuilt, rebuilt the motor, went away to Uni... my folks sold it for $100 to some Spanish kid who racked up tickets on it in my name for two years.
I rebuilt everything on that car except the differential. Mine had a cherrywood dash (the coupes had black platic there, the spyders had real wood) and a capybara gearshift boot.
Still though, with a twincam engine, 4 wheel discs and a 5 speed in the mid 70's it was a helluva car. I always lusted after an Alfa till I drove one and found it nowhere near as fast or managable.
✖
On Feb 7, 12:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Now that you mention Alfas, here's a good story. I bought my Fiat spyder when I was in college. A good friend of mine, Charlie, had one and I thought they were hot cars too. A year or so later, Charlie and his fiancee both buy brand new Alfa spyders.
So, Fiats being what they are, one fine day my fuel pump went when I was out on the highway. So, I called a tow truck and had it towed. Charlie discovered that I had used a regular tow truck, not a flat- bed. Being on the highway at the time, the thought of what kind of tow truck to ask for never entered my mind. And they towed it fine, no problems. So, I get a big lecture on how I was nuts to let them tow it with a regular tow truck.
Then about a year later, Charlie and the fiancee are driving home from Boston to PA and the girl friends Alfa breaks down. So, what does HE do? Why he tries to push it with his Alfa and creams the front of his car. Maybe her car too, don't really remember that part anymore.
Add pictures here
✖

I think he's lucky they both started and got that far. My boss bought a new Alfetta in about 83 or so. Six months later it was in the shop every week.
✖
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:19:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Believe it or not, the first mass produced cars to use galvanizing in the USA were those made by AMC/Rambler.
My 1962 Rambler had the entire body deep dipped in electro-galvanising primer with the rocker panels made of standard galvanized steel.
Doug
Add pictures here
✖

I have *NEVER* said or suggested that the MB was anything but an excellent automobile. Or that it wasn't fuel efficient. The non-turbo diesels of the 80's were just slow as hell. Newer ones are much quicker. I don't know why some dorks need to take commenting that they were slow as an attack on the quality of the car. They weren't made to RACE. They were a nice, very comfortable, economical and extremely reliable even IF incredibly SLOW cars. Car quality isn't defined by 0 to 60 times. But I must say 30 seconds is probably a bit optimistic. Downhill maybe.(If the incline was steep enough)
Add pictures here
✖
I have a 1982 240D, slow as hell. After a careful valve adjustment, considerable improvement in acceleration was noted. Since these cars have solid lifters, periodic valve adjustment is required.

Add pictures here
✖
Yes, all old MB diesel must have the valve adjusted every year...
Add pictures here
✖
Tiger wrote:

How old? I've never had the valves adjusted on my '92 300D nor has my tech recommended such/
Add pictures here
✖
OM61x series diesel engines until mid-80s. These have iron cylinder head.
Yours is OM60x series (in fact, OM602) which has aluminum cylinder head with hydraulic lifter. The valve never needs adjustment but the lifter sometimes does go bad. The gap can be checked when, for example, replacing valve cover gasket.
JD wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

how much does that cost??