Mercedes does have electrical problems

I'm sure most have noticed the very low rating given to Mercedes recently, because of electrical problems. Like most people I took that rating lightly, until a few days ago.
As I was entering the street from a small mall in the center of our city, I noticed flames behind me streaking about 20 ft above a vehicle. On returning to watch the action I found out it was a Mercedes SUV that had it's passenger compartment become a burned out box in a few minutes.
I heard the watching owner say a fire suddenly started under the instrument compartment. He just had time to pull over into a left turn lane and hop out. Luckily the fire house was only a block away and they had it out in 15 minutes. The engine compartment was OK and fortunately the vehicle it didn't blow up in the area with many walking people.
I've never experienced or heard of such a situation before. How fortunate he wasn't going over a long bridge or worse through a long tunnel.
Yes CR you were on to something very bad about Mercedes vehicles.