Mercedes E Class 300 turbo - Key fob problem

I currently have a mercedes e-class 300 Turbo diesel 1999. My key fob is working ok with a strong signal but will not work my central locking or go in ignition. Any ideals whats causing the problem. Cheers

Replace the battery first... then make sure the battery holder holds the battery tight... most of the time it doesn't so you have to bend the metal clip so it holds the battery tighter.