"Mercedes" magazine

Is this still going in the UK? They used to send it to me every month about four years ago but then it stopped.

Reply to
ITMA

I get it all the time - Chapters carries it, but only a few copies a month.

Reply to
Shawn

Still going, just received winter edition. Pure speculation, but maybe they purged the mailing list?

Contact Merc UK in Milton Keynes.

Nice features about the new A-Class in it.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes possibly. Now I come to think of it my regular delivery ceased round about the same time as I wrote into their "letters page" with something they might not have taken kindly to!

Reply to
ITMA

Won't you share it with the rest of us :) Mike W126 300SE 234,000 Miles W115 220

Reply to
Just Mike

I cant remember word for word. It was a bit of a dig at some of the other letters they published. (1) First off there was more often than not photos of some smug twits - brothers, or father & son or somesuch - showing off how they both had Mercedes cars, or if the son was only about 6, how daddy had bought him a Mercedes pedal car to match their silly little C Class or whatever it might have been. (2) Then there was the article about the Irish farmer who had done 500,000 miles in his Mercedes all on a same clutch. (3) Then there were letters about how people had survived unscathed from crashes on motorways, more often than not in their own words through not paying proper attention. (4) Lastly, letters often had the theme of 'oh, the quality, what good service from local dealer, oh the quality of the ride, oh deary deary me how could I ever live without my cherished Mercedes'. My own letter suggested all the letters must surely be the work of an editorial backroom rather than real people because (1) nobody would be so shallow and pathetic to want their mugshot saying 'look at us, the two of us have both got (probably company-car) Mercedes', (2) I found it hard to believe that even if the farmer had used the car for ploughing by day and mini-cab by night it was doubtful that he clocked up 500,000 miles and even more doubtful it was on the same clutch such that the story sounded a lot of old potatoes to me, (3) surely anyone who could so obscenely smug to proclaim they had caused an accident and ruined some other buggers life but had escape unharmed would have surely been beheaded in a social revolution if they had ever existed, and (4) and I think we all know that Mercedes cars have their fair share of faults, design defects and particularly shoddy service (but with a smile) at their dealers such that I dreaded to think what these people must have been driving before so as to make such extravagant comparisons.

Reply to
ITMA

Come to think of it, what became of their more upmarket magazine called something like "In Aller Welt" with articles about islands you had never heard of, the building of yachts that not only had ensuite cabins but all the taps were gold, and other everyday (!) topics of interest? It was around in the days of the proper, car-shaped S-Class the W126 series.

Reply to
ITMA

"ITMA" haute in die Tasten:

IIRC Mercedes Magazine was launched in the early 90's, and in the first years the editors took care that no article was about any new Mercedes model, contrary to the BMW magazine which was launched about the same time. The non-reporting on new Mercedes models went so far that they used to lay a separate folder in every copy of "mercedes Magazine", when they wanted to announce a new car. Back then I was looking for a new credit card and I liked the idea of getting a Mercedes card. I have used Mercedes cards since then, and I received the Mercedes Magazine since then, but I cannot remember when I got the last issue (may be 3 months ago). Today they broadly present each new Mercedes with cheering articles. And, yes, I have never read a letter criticizing the magazine and/or the products of the company. To me it is too much advertisement to really catch my interest. Usually I do not spend more than 5 minits for every new issue of "Mercedes Magazine".

BTW: AFAIK "Mercedes Magazine" replaced the old "Mercedes in aller Welt"

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Excellent! That would have made a great readers letter for the letters page. May have even provoked some 'genuine' letters. Mike W126 300SE 234,000 Miles W115 220

Reply to
Just Mike

Once I sent a letter on the lines of "lots of miles but in great condition" (i.e. of the type you criticise); that was published.

On the other hand I sent a critical letter bemoaning the loss of the upright Mercedes star on the bonnet on more models and the dropping of a great (German) advertising slogan (Ihr guter Stern auf allen Strassen), and linking that with DC's "financially disastrous" move into aerospace. Funny that was NOT published...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling