Mercedes, Not US, To Bail Out Chrysler

And you, being a full-quoter, are also showing no respect for the reader by not properly quoting specific material to which you are replying to.

There was no need for you to include 3 pages of quoted material as the "introduction" or prologue to the 4 sentences that was your lateast contribution to this thread. It is a waste of my time to scroll down all that material to see just what it is that you are about to say.

If you are a full-quoter, then it really doesn't matter if you top-post or bottom-post your new material. You are posting out-of-context just the same - and showing the reader the same degree of courtesy or respect in either case.

Reply to
MoPar Man

"Top poster - full quoter". Kind of has a ring to it.

I think a good country music writer could make a song out of that. No - come to think of it, Al Yankovic. I think it would fit one of Tom Petty's or the Eagles' songs, but I can't think of the name of it.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I was thinking Pat Benatar doing Heartbreaker...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I think that would be good, Nate. :)

Reply to
Bill Putney

It does. He's a poet and he didn't know it.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Agreed to March 27 1999. And you can see here

that DaimlerChrysler gave up on trying to get Nissan March 10 1999.

So Schrempp and Co were out of it before Ghosen and Co stepped in.

And Schrempp got put out to pasture.

Reply to
edward ohare

So.... Motor Trend is using the same logic as Rush Limbaugh now? (Who blames the Democratic **minority** in congress 1998-2006, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter for our current economic woes?)

Despite the admiration I have for him generally, Iacocca didn't do well the last few years. Hanging onto the K platform for one more encore as an imitation big car (Dynasty/New Yorker) was a terrible mistake.

Reply to
edward ohare

OK, then that disproves your point about how Chrysler wanted to be involved.

Time. As you observe above, they took their money out of Mitsubishi. And they sold their share of Diamond-Star. They were pulling out and Mercedes got them involved again.

I ***agree*** a car named "Colt" was sold later. I ***disagree*** the car named "Colt" sold after the Omni/Horizon introduction was in the same market segment as the Omni/Horizon. See above... "cut out Mitsubshi in that size class".

For example 77 Colt at a 92 inch wheelbase, 78 Horizon at 99 inches.

Think the Plymouth Champ style Colt. Remember the one with the twin stick trans?

It doesn't make sense that the guys who pulled away, who built their own cars and own engines for segments where they previously bought from Mitsubishi, and made money doing it, wanted to become mere vehicle distributors again.

You don't know Nissan would have done well under Schrempp. Gee, he might have turned all the Nissan cars into wagons and all the Infinitis into trucks!

Somebody's opinion that doesn't match up with the facts I see.

Uh, Lloyd, that's the point. Decisions to do these things were with Mercedes in charge.

Oh, and the Caliber... I checked a friend's today and the VIN starts with a 1, which I've only seen on US assembly of big three cars (Toyota, Nissan, etc NA assembly get a 4 first in the VIN) and the door decal says manufactured by Daimler Chrysler. So are you sure of the origin of this car?

Reply to
edward ohare

Ed - All you have to do to understand the collapse of the mortgage/banking industry is trace the history of the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) - started - yes - with Carter, strengthened by Clinton, and then the lack of oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (you've no-doubt seen the youtube video of those embarrassing hearings ("lynchings", etc.), and know of Franklin Raines (Obama campaign financial adviser), taking 90 million - $90,000,000.00 - dollars in personal bonuses by cooking Fannie Mae's books at critical times to trigger said bonuses while he was its CEO?).

Chrysler's situation aside (you injected the wider politics into your post), it is dishonest to deny that very real history and how it was more than a butterfly wing flutter that triggered what we are seeing.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I maintain that the proximate cause of the current financial housing related problems are:

1) Interest rates that were kep too low 2) Excess money available due to Fed budget deficits
Reply to
edward ohare

They all were a factor. I think there are idiots that think rules about finances are arbitrary and aren't real - and a lot of those idiots are in our government. As the saying goes, reality is a bitch. We shall see in the not-too-distant future if any lessons have been learned. My fear is that the answer to that is 'no'.

I agree with Rush L. about almost everything. One thing I have always disagreed with him on is that there's no need to worry about the deficit

- he's always maintained that it doesn't mean anything. (well that, and I also drink filtered tap water)

Reply to
Bill Putney

How about the Iraq "war" (invasion really).

I don't think it gets enough blame in the press for this current economic meltdown.

Reply to
MoPar Man

How? It was the Chrysler folks who argued that DC should invest in Mitsu and not Nissan.

No, it was the Chrysler execs who argued for getting involved with Mitsu again.

Yes. Bigger than Fiesta.

They felt using Mitsu to develop small-car platforms was what they needed. Plus, they felt a presence in Asia was needed. The Mercedes folks favored a tie-in with Nissan, but the Chrysler folks favored one with Mitsu.

Some expert's objective opinion. You are hardly either an expert or objective.

And again, I remind you, it was the Chrysler folks who convinced DC to go with Mitsu.

The platform was developed by Mitsu. It's made in a Chrysler plant. Just like the Ford Taurus uses a platform Volvo helped develop, but it's made in a Ford plant. It's not a Mitsu car; it uses a Mitsu platform. You can really do a little research and find this out.

Reply to
Lloyd

I'm sorry to hear that.

Please consider that many of Rush's views are single solutions to single problems that don't consider the other effects of the solution.

I had a conversation with a former co worker about Rush's proposal that Repubs should vote in Dem primaries and vote for Clinton. After a few exchanges, I said "Well people who do that must be convinced their guy, McCain, is going to lose the general election, so getting Clinton as President would in their view be the lesser of two evils".

Answer was "Oh, no, McCain's going to win". So I said "If that's true then Repubs voting in the Dem primariy doesn't matter. So why do it?". .

Well, he had no answer to that. But he went away convinced I was wrong without being able to say why.

What? Those chemicals in unfiltered water don't hurt you!

Reply to
edward ohare

The very first thing I did in order to read your reply was SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM and start reading. You could have just as easily posted at the top.

The rest of your post is pure nonsense trying to impose a presupposition of attitude on writers. Its meaningless.

Reply to
Steve

Yea, I never did convince my self described radical conservative friend that wars aren't good for the economy. He frequently said wars are good for the economy.

Course, his answer to any economic woe was that "we have the most guns".

Many people are so sick of Bush they don't even want to bother blaming him. They just want him gone. Note that his "regret" over the poor intelligence that lead to the war in Iraq was a ho hum event. Yet you'd think that Bush coming close to admitting error would be big news and people would just love to poke at him over it. Yet it was nothing.

I wonder if he's going to pardon himself before he leaves.

Reply to
edward ohare

Well, in corporate finance as well as in the economy, decisions made 20 years ago DO come to fruition today.

One of his many mistakes. He did a great job of saving the company. Once it was healthy, he should have stepped aside and allowed the engineers to create and be competitive again, rather than hanging onto a survive on a shoestring mentality.

Reply to
Steve

You don't know if I'm an expert, you don't know if I'm objective, and regardless I can point out that the opinion doesn't match with facts we know.

There were no "Chrysler folks". The company was being run by Mercedes folks.

But I'm objective. Give me a cite.

Since you already know, please enlighten me.

Reply to
edward ohare

The filter is to primarily remove chorine (municipal water). Swimming pool water doesn't appeal to me, and probably isn't too healthy.

Reply to
Bill Putney

There has been actual and records of weapons found more recently, including that of yellow cake. But you're right - no one wants to hear about it.

Reply to
Bill Putney