Mercedes, Not US, To Bail Out Chrysler

Page 3 of 4
Hello Dictator, PeterD.
Don't bottom-post. I find it intensely inconvenient and irritating as I have to scroll though loads of repeat stuff just to get to a few pearls of
wisdom. But I only tell you that and not the other bottom-posters as it is a case of chacun a son gout.
DAS
"PeterD" < snipped-for-privacy@hipson.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Exactly. (???)
--
Bill Putney
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:47:09 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Always someone who doesn't know proper netiquette for Usenet...
And someone who doesn't understand *WHY* top-posting is so annoying.

The reason to bottom post is that people generally don't read books starting at the last page.
The reason to top-post is to put the most pertinent and recent elements of the discussion in the most convenient location. If any reader needs to be refreshed on the previous parts of the discussion, he or she may refer to the "footnotes," so to speak, preserved below the current discussion topic. This it the model used in the professional realm when replying to e-mail cc'd to numerous recipients, which is similar to the newsgroup model.
Actually I don't give a rip either way, its just chit-chat.
Larrybud wrote:

Larrybud wrote:

Let's go with your book analogy (usenet is not a book BTW, but let's pretend it is and go with it): Why would you want to read the entire book from the beginning each time you pick it up to read the next chapter?
--
Bill Putney

If your reading several books at once (to continue your book analogy) you may not be able to remember what just happened to whom and where.
Richard For caravanning tips and information visit http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
--
"Daddy, what does FORMATTING DRIVE C: mean?"

Richard Cole wrote:

...in which case, then you scroll down to refresh your memory, and then back up to get the status of the present. That's how business email communication is done almost universally, and for a good reason.
--
Bill Putney

Selective and EFFICIENT quoting, and BOTTOM POSTING (or in-line quoting when useful) is the defacto correct and original method when constructing usenet posts.
Top-posting has become the norm for constructing e-mail replies (thanks to the default settings for Micro$haft Outlook and Outlook Express) and unfortunately many people either use that software (or carry on it's methods) when constructing usenet replies.

Unfortunately, many people full-quote, needlessly dragging along the entire past history of the thread into their reply. That is wrong.
I have a 21" monitor, with a 1600 x 1200 pixel resolution. In other words, I have a lot of on-screen real estate to display usenet posts. If I bring up a post, and see nothing but quoted material in the message pane, I will almost always skip the post instead of dragging the scroll bar down to bring new material into view.
If the respondant hasn't trimmed his post by keeping only relavent quoted material, then he isin't worth my time to read what-ever he did add to the thread in question.
I think that sums it up. See your last para below.
It underlines my point made elsewhere here, that the old 'netiquette' has been superseded by what clients people are using, so there is no point in opposing the tide. Bend with the wind, to mix my metaphors..
DAS
"MoPar Man" < snipped-for-privacy@Man.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@Man.com...
Top-poaster and Full-Quoter Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

If you had properly constructed your reply, you would not have had to say "see your last para below".

That is no excuse for you to NOT construct your replies properly, especially if you know the difference.

Or just be lazy...

Oh, right, Sorry!
It reverses the logical order of a conversation.
Why is it confusing?
It's confusing.
Why not?
You really shouldn't top-post.
I think you and other bottom-posters hark back to another era, the dawn of the internet and usenet...
I understand that some people still look at usenet groups in certain ways which makes it easier to follow a thread if bottom-posting is applied. I have actually seen this myself.
However, many of us now use, for example, Outlook Express, for usenet, where top-posting is preferable.
So, I am afraid, I (and, I think, quite a few other people) see no reason why we should bottom-post.
The best approach is mutual tolerance. Why get angry over such a trivial thing? Why not get angry with those people with all those people who don't snip, forcing one to scroll though loads of unimportant stuff?
Move on to more important things
DAS
"zayton" < snipped-for-privacy@newwavecomm.net> wrote in message
news:65g_k.14403$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.iad...

I'll try a less polite way, then.
Moving your reply, above to its present position below mine allows it to be read as as part of a conversation.
Top posters have no interest in entering into a conversation, only in firing off essays, witty one liners, etc. which are intended to stand on their own rather than contributing to a conversation with other posters.
Top posters are revealing that they have no respect for others contributions, they assume that their brilliance simply replaces everything that has been said before , and that readers will not profit by knowing what they are replying to..
Full-Quoter zayton wrote:

And you, being a full-quoter, are also showing no respect for the reader by not properly quoting specific material to which you are replying to.
There was no need for you to include 3 pages of quoted material as the "introduction" or prologue to the 4 sentences that was your lateast contribution to this thread. It is a waste of my time to scroll down all that material to see just what it is that you are about to say.
If you are a full-quoter, then it really doesn't matter if you top-post or bottom-post your new material. You are posting out-of-context just the same - and showing the reader the same degree of courtesy or respect in either case.
MoPar Man wrote:

"Top poster - full quoter". Kind of has a ring to it.
I think a good country music writer could make a song out of that. No - come to think of it, Al Yankovic. I think it would fit one of Tom Petty's or the Eagles' songs, but I can't think of the name of it.
--
Bill Putney
Bill Putney wrote:

I was thinking Pat Benatar doing Heartbreaker...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I think that would be good, Nate. :)
--
Bill Putney
It does. He's a poet and he didn't know it.
"Bill Putney" < snipped-for-privacy@kinez.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

The very first thing I did in order to read your reply was SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM and start reading. You could have just as easily posted at the top.
The rest of your post is pure nonsense trying to impose a presupposition of attitude on writers. Its meaningless.