Mercedes Phone

I just got a terrific deal on a 2008 CLK350 (I may have been the only person shopping for a car nowadays).
It has lots of bells and whistles but the one option I had on my 2005 C320
that I miss the most on my new car is an integral phone.
Anybody know where I can get the parts to add the integral phone option (besides the outrageous prices at a Mercedes dealer)
What do you mean by integral phone?
Sound through loudspeakers?
Display in instrument panel?
Operating via steering wheel buttons?
DAS
"DonWmdmd" < snipped-for-privacy@fyi.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com...
Yes I would prefer full integration. Steering Wheel controls, Phone memory, etc.

Have you got the correct steering wheel with buttons? If you are set up bar the phone there should be a bluetooth connection method.
My own car is from 2001 and so still has, regrettably, a physical cradle. While this has the merit of charging the phone when it's in it also means I am stuck with an old handset, though I have since found out I can buy a phone emulator that fits and sends out a bluetooth signal. But at GBP 300+ for a car I hardly use it has not been worthwhile hitherto.
I am in Europe (UK), which has had different arrangements to US (partly because of differences in mobile phone systems, I suppose) but things may have converged, esp as US seems to have widespread GSM coverage now.
DAS
"DonW" < snipped-for-privacy@fyi.net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com...
> Yes I would prefer full integration. Steering Wheel controls, Phone
I have the correct steering wheel, with buttons, but I don't have nay sort of phone system except the prewriting My center console only has a cup holder ( and the little buttons for the emergency call system). There is no plug of any sort. Also the 2008 CLK owners manual shows a puck and describes ways to change phone cradles. It has absolutely no mention of Bluetooth.
DonW

I hate to suggest this, but can't a Merc garage provide advice? Had you actually asked a dealer? "Outrageous" compared to what?
Here in London I would not hesitate to ask, even if I did not intend to buy from them.
Also, if there are recommened parts, why would a Merc dealer charge (much) more than anyone else for something of similar quality?
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a puck in this case?
(My car, FWIW, is a CLK Cab, but a technologically anti-deluvian 2001 as mentioned...)
DAS
"DonWmdmd" < snipped-for-privacy@fyi.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com...
You asked a fair question and deserve a fair response
1. The local dealer's estimate to install a compete hands free phone system is $2200.( split 50-50 between parts and labor) 2. They believe it's fair to demand about $120 per hour labor charges(perhaps it is) 3. I was kind of hoping that someone would be able to dig the parts out of a wreck and sell them to me for half the new parts price ($500-$600?) 4. I am an ASE certified mechanic and installed a hands free phone system in my own C320 a couple of years ago.
In short, I was hoping I could get the whole system for $600 rather than $2200.

So the dealer is saying the parts cost USD 1100...
That's your target to beat, then.
We are talking electronics. Would it be wise to take parts out of a "wreck"?
I don't think USD 120/h labour is out of line for a main dealer of any leading brand. That does not mean it is acceptable to you, of course.
What is a puck here? Does that commit you to specific handsets?
Is there no bluetooth emulation solution? In my case I got an upgrade/modernisation solution (not implemented) from an independent in-car audio and phone system dealer. Maybe that's soemthing you could consider.
DAS
"DonWmdmd" < snipped-for-privacy@fyi.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com...
I use the term puck because it was appropriate for slightly older systems. Nowadays its called a base plate and it refers to the basic universal mount base that goes inside the center console. It what everything else plugs into; the cradle if you want an in-car phone. The Bluetooth adapter if you want to go that route.

You need to find all the part numbers you need for the kit. Then search on ebay for used kit. I did this on 01 E320 and it works like a charm.
2008 should have bluetooth feature built in... if not, you just buy a bluetooth module from Mercedes so any phone you have will work with it.
Unfortunealty that isn't correct. The car came "pre-wired" for a phone but doesn't have the control module etc. There also isn't any place to plug in the blue tooth module - It needs the "puck" to clip into.

Not true about the puck... The older models use pucks but the newer cars don't use puck... they simply plugs right into the socket you have in the armrest compartment.
According to Mercedes Wireless. your car is already equipped. Unless you live outside North America.
http://www.wireless4mb.com /
I will go look VERY Carefully in the armrest for a plug. I sure hope you're right and I'm wrong! Thanks
DonW

Darn! You're wrong!
My center console only has a cup holder ( and the little buttons for the emergency call system). There is no plug of any sort. Also the 2008 CLK owners manual shows a puck and describes ways to change phone cradles. It has absolutely no mention of Bluetooth
DonW

Ahh... You got the CLK model... that need the Handfree Communication Package to use the bluetooth adapter feature.