Mercedes recall -- reimbursement for harmonic balancer repairs 1998-2001

Just got a letter in the mail today announcing that Mercedes admitted that the harmonic balancers in 1998-2001 cars were flawed.
They offered to replace the flawed devices at no cost under the terms
of the recall.
There was a reimbursement form attached -- so if you had a failure, and had it fixed, you could submit the repair claim to Mercedes.
If you're in this group of owners ---
the recall campaign is 2005-020003 toll free information is -800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372)
CLK.R wrote:

Please could you translate from US to UK?
We're assuming you mean what we call camshaft balancing shafts?

No, It's a harmonic balancer, Usually a big metal disc with a rubber collar that mounts on the outside of the Engine at the end of the Crank shaft.
Marty
CLK.R wrote:

all models?
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:40:46 +0100, charles blassberg

No models mentioned --- but,
I lost my harmonic balancer at 39k on the 430 ($1,100 bill)
A friend lost his on his 320 at 44k ($700 bill)
So, at least the 430 V-8 and 320 V-6. There has been an ongoing 'silent' inspection program. Now MB admitted -- a supplier problem.

-------------------------------------------------- What are the symptoms of a failure?
ds
1st, a noise or vibration in the engine compartment that 99% of the people IGNORED which then leads to loss of power steering and a massive oil leak.
When the recall first started, MB only paid for the belt, bolt, and pully. MB felt the timing cover being destroyed was not covered because people were too dumb to stop the car when they felt a vibration or heard a noise. Bad call on MB's part but true in their wisdom!

The balancer in my wife's 1998 E320 went out last November at 7000 (not a typo) miles, causing mucho damage.
We received the recall letter last Saturday (6/18). I took the car to my MB dealer on Tuesday, and today (6/24) received a reimbursement check for $2207.
Fortunately, I had had the dealer do the repairs, so there was no disputation regarding the charges.
(P.S. The car is not for sale.)
Karl, I will admit to being so dumb (your word) as to drive the car all of 1/10 of a mile to our home after first hearing the noise. On the other hand, I was smart enough to have it towed for repair. I find your generalization a bit offensive.

Sorry, I should have put " around the word because I was quoting what the MB field rep said when I told him he will have a LOT of pissed off customers who paid to have MB's-caused damage repaired.
Karl wrote:

Consider yourself forgiven.
Today, my service manager said that my quick response to the recall notice was timely, as MB is reportedly "reconsidering" reimbursement in full. I guess I should spend the money quickly lest they try to get it back <g>.