Mercedes S420, auto lock, trunk assist and proximity antennas stopped working

Hi:

I have a 1995 S420 and all of a sudden yesterday several things stopped working all at the same time, which made me beleive that it is a fuse or a relay of some sort. Checked the fuse, and actually the items that stopped working are on one fuse. It is fuse no. 3 located on the fuse box in the trunk. But when I check the 20Amp fuse, there is nothing worng with it I even switched with another and it still did not correct the problem.

Here is a list of the problems that occured at the same time:

1- The lock/ unlock stopped working. Do not work using the remote or the key. When using the remote the lazer receiver light comes on (green to unlock and red to lock) which indicates that the lazer receiver is working, but the door locks do not go up or down. Now I have to operate each door manually. Normally they all come up/ down together automatically either by remote button or dash button. Even the Button on the dash stopped working, does not lock/ unlock the doors any more.

2- The Trunk Close Assist, which sucks the Trunk lid tight into place once the trunk is closed does not work. The doors Closing assit on the other hand work fine!! When unlocked normally the trunk handle pops out, that stopped working as well. The trunk release buttom located on the dash stopped working, i.e. releasing the trunk open.

3- The little antennas that pop out of the rear fenders (proximity antennas) when you put the car in reverse are out, but they stopped working. Now when you put the car in drive they don't go down. Normally they pop out on reverse and once you put the car in Drive then go down after so many seconds.

Has anyone run into a similar problem? or know what could be causing this? It sounds like a relay or a regulator of some sort that operates these things went out. Any idea on how to proceed with diagnosis?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Dude, have you checked the fuse box under the hood. Top driver side under winshield. Also some relays behind that too.

But knowing this car company, your gonna have to pay to find out.

good luck!

Reply to
jimbobeleeeeeoooooooooooeo

You are combining two separate systems. Closing assist and central locking.

Fuse 3 and 9 in the trunk are for the closing assist pump, which is in the trunk on the left side of the gas tank. This pump controls all the doors and the trunk lid pulling in.

The central locking pump, which is under the rear seat pass side, controls the door locks, the chrome handle on the trunk lid, and the back up masts. Different fuse! I will give you a 90% chance that this pump died, since the red and green lights work......

Reply to
Karl