Mercedes Upgrade Suggetion E-Class or S-Class

Hi everyone,
My parents are owners of a 99 C280, and after 4 good years they are thinking of upgrading to a bigger model, maybe not this year but next
year. They are looking at the new E-Class E320, because it fits their price range, however doing some research around, I perhaps realized that it is perhaps a better buy to get a 2-3 year used Mercedes, S430 or S500 with <50K miles. There are several around always, pre-owner certified.
If the S-class is the cream of the crop model, and it is a reliable car, than purchasing it with low milage <50K at a good discount (The S retails at 80+K) because of high depreciation may be a good idea. After all, this may be the last car they own, so why not go all the way?
What are people's opinions on this, buying a user Mercedes, and the differences between E and the S class. What about differences in cost of maintainance and owner costs between two models, I know Mercedes dealerships are damn expensive.
They are not sport drivers, so the higher engine models are not that important for them as long as the car accelerates well enough and is fast. I assume cars at this price range will all come well equiped (leather,sunroof,premium audio)
Also, while they were quiet satisfied with Merecdes, what does the competition have to offer, Audi A8 or the BMW 740il, also 2-3 years used.
Thanks, George
George, Great strategy. By buying pre-owned you can get a beautiful car for far less than you might expect! Please forgive the straightforward approach but I have a 1996 S500 Coupe with 45,400 miles that your parents would love. Still has Starmark. Car was $91,600 new. Current NADA value-$36,300, will sell for $31,500 or best offer. Car is perfect! Email for info if you're interested. Dale (not Camille) '88 SL560 '96 S500 Coupe '00 CL500
George Bozovic wrote:

Whatever they buy be sure that they choose a car with the extended StarMark warranty. All MB's of the mid to late 90s have had considerable problems that will require extensive and expensive repairs. (wiring harness, AC evaporator, etc). The drivetrains are still as well built as the older MBs but the newer models have all kinds of toys and that is where the major problems are occuring in the used models. A good example is the AC evaporator. It is a 21 hour job because the entire dash has to be removed and replaced, plus you will have the cost of the part. Seems to run around $3,000 for the fix. Again, get a car with the StarMark warranty and get the longest warranty available.
Why do you say mid to late 90's? I hear so many say that the early years in the 140 body (1992-3) were worse than the following years? Also, after the big stuff (evap, wires) are done, do these cars "turn out OK" - like a teenager turning 25?

StarMark
MBs
around
the
Why do you say mid to late 90's ___________________________________________ Seems that by '98 most of the early problems were solved (wiring harneess, etc) but there are still plenty of things that can and do go bad. Mostly it is the "toys" as I call them...all those extra goodies that you really don't need. Automatic door closers, etc. The drive trains on these cars are still very strong and will last 250K plus miles if properly serviced. But you can rest assured that no matter what make of used car you buy, you will have some problems. MB is no different except that the price of parts is higher.
Why do you say mid to late 90's ___________________________________________ Seems that by '98 most of the early problems were solved (wiring harneess, etc) but there are still plenty of things that can and do go bad. Mostly it is the "toys" as I call them...all those extra goodies that you really don't need. Automatic door closers, etc. The drive trains on these cars are still very strong and will last 250K plus miles if properly serviced. But you can rest assured that no matter what make of used car you buy, you will have some problems. MB is no different except that the price of parts is higher.
I agree. Ive just bought a S 320 cdi year 2000 from Germany, 36000 km, outstanding condition, 39.000 euros. If I had bought a E class from Finland where I live Id have to use the same amount of money, the car is something else...highend MB, you simply cant compare it to even a new E-class. I recommend.

E-class is a self driving vehicle. S-class is a boss vehicle (you won't driver it yourself).