Mercedes with most room (tall driver)

Wondering what models you guys who know your Mercedes can recommend for a tall guy, I am 6'6' and have trouble in most cars yet was hoping there might be a model or two of Mercedes (older is fine) that has lots of room or is designed where other big guys can drive easier etc etc.

I am not looking for convertibles, would like to stay with a full sedan 4 door too if possible,

I just went and checked out a 2000 C250 and it just about fit me fine except a bit of a problem with my right knee and the wide portion of the dash (head was fine arms shoulders etc all fine, just that right knee area (to get to the gas) being so tall I had some trouble with the way the dash was designed so wide and all the way down to the center....

And I found a 96 300D that I DID fit fine in but it was already sold (salesguy let me sit in it tho for size check since I drove all the way out to see it at their dealership).

Anyone got any ideas? Been also considering older model C280's (93-97 range) yet I haven't found one used to go sit in and see how it fit me.

Thanks for any input or help on what models or design styles might fit me best, its hard to go find them used to sit in and get a feel for (far and few used ones in my area to go test "fit".

Reply to
TallGuy

"TallGuy" haute in die Tasten:

Do you have long legs or a long body? Or do you have both? By far the most space for the driver has the W140 (s-class 1989-1998). You should search for a car without sunroof and maybe consider installing an aftermarket steering wheel with a smaller diameter, which give your legs additional freedom (don't know how many aftermarket wheels with airbag are available). The W210 (E-class 1996-2002) also offers much space, but the W140 is bigger.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

I would say I am a bit of both but moreso taller torso (headroom), inseam is 36 though so again larger than most...

Thanks for the tips I will keep trying to find used ones in my area (East Lansing MI) and go from there....

Tasten:

was

Mercedes

etc

have both? By far the most

1989-1998). You should search

installing an aftermarket

give your legs additional

with airbag are available).

space, but the W140 is

fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact

Reply to
TallGuy

Hi,

I'm 6'4 and had plenty of room in a 98 E300TD (very comfy even while

50,000 miles a year). I found the same model year C class too small though.

Surprisingly, I find the A class quite comfy too :-)

Cheers Bill

In message , TallGuy writes

Reply to
invalid

I used to live there and bought my first MB... I bought mine near Detroit... Plymouth... they got one there... but I am not too sure about the price... I think you can talk him down and have that car checked out by MB dealer before you buy it.

Tiger

W123!

Darrell 6'5 lots of headroom.

Reply to
Darrell

I have a w116 chassis 300sd, and my girlfriend has a w123 chassis 300d, I am 6'4" and fit in both fine. (the w116 is roomier)

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Concentrate on a E-Class car, not a C- Class. A car without a sunroof will also have about an inch more headroom.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

He needs a Maybach.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I have a 1990 500SE W126 - it has a fair amount of room for me and I'm 6ft

8ins. About 2 inches left above my head to the sunroof. My only problem is I have size 15 (UK) feet and the foot rest for my left foot is too short.

Al Bolton

1990 500 SE 136,000 miles

Reply to
Al Bolton

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

To be honest: I was not at all impresed by the headroom in the back of the Maybach 63. Okay, if I'd seriously consider to buy one, I assume that they could lower the rear seat by an inch or two.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Oh dear, another EUR 10 000...

Maybe this guy will be satisfied with a 57 as he will probably be driving himself (i.e. sitting in the front).

Actually a London taxi might do the trick and, while quite dear for a car of this capability, it's still a lot cheaper than the options discussed so far. I read somebody is importing several thousand into the US. And such a vehicle is far rarer than a common-or-garden old S-Class (outside the UK, of course).

(I presume 63 is a typo...)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

What is the name of the big Maybach? 62 or 63? Anyway, it won't fit into my garage anyway;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

57 and 62 currently. 53 later.

The nutpicker ;-)

Reply to
Juergen .

I don't know how similar the 116 is inside to the 123, but in my 6.9 I have to take off my shoes to drive it comfortably. (size 13 US) otherwise I cant fit both feet down there with enough room to move around easily. massive amount of head, body, and leg room, just no foot room! I'm exactly 6 foot.

it is a RHD euro if that makes a difference

Reply to
Ziggy Switkowski

50k in one year! Don't you ever let the motor cool down?

Reply to
The earnest one

The W124 just fits into my garage, so a little Maybach 57 would also not allow me to close the door of my garage...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

That's nothing. Many taxis are never switched off. Only a few months ago a New York taxi driver told me how he shares his Crown Victoria (I think it was) with his relative. He was on his third motor but they get a pretty impressive mileage each.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

In message , The earnest one writes

"For Sale: One set of E300TD Glow Plugs... hardly used" :-) Bill

Reply to
invalid

"Ziggy Switkowski" haute in die Tasten:

I do not know it for the W 116 but if you have a W 123, this makes a big difference, indeed.

I had a W123 LHD, and this car has a drivers seat, which has two levers for adjusting its position. The lever on the front side of the seat (1) lets you slide the seat back and forth, the lever on its left side (2) lets it slide back and lowers its position simultaneously. As a result you can slide back the drivers seat further than the co-pilots seat, and you can also adjust its height.

Years ago, during a press meeting, I met a guy who was responsible for selling Mercedes in the UK in the 80's. I asked him, if it was possible to install an UK drivers seat into my german W123 in order to give space for my legs, even if my wife is driving me. He told me that the lever (2) is a part of the body platform, not of the seat. RHD and LHD models use the same body platform, so the RHD W123s had height-adjustable co-drivers seats, and non-adjustable divers seats:-0

AFIK the seats of a W123 fit into a W116, so I assume that the rail- problem is the same. AFAIK the british had to wait for the W210 to have both seats adjustable the same way.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper