Mercedes with most room (tall driver)

Page 2 of 2
I have a 1990 500SE W126 - it has a fair amount of room for me and I'm 6ft 8ins. About 2 inches left above my head to the sunroof. My only problem is I
have size 15 (UK) feet and the foot rest for my left foot is too short.
Al Bolton 1990 500 SE 136,000 miles

was comfortable for him without modifications was a Saab. He said the sloped windshields (drag reducer) on new cars cuts down forward visibility even when headroom was ok. He bought the Saab (real Saab not rebadged GM econobox) and is happy. Howard

Each Saab I have been sitting in (Saab 99, 9000, 9-3) had way too short rails for the front seat and a headrest which was not high enough for me. Besides this the steering wheel was mounted somewhat too deep for my taste. What a pity, because otherwise I'd love to drive one of them.
Frank

Citron Xantia - Made in Trance

I'm 6'6" too, with 37" inseam. I've got a '94 E320, and it has lots of leg room, but just barely enough headroom. My seat is all the way down, but not all the way back, and the steering wheel is telescoped all the way out. (It works for me, anyways.) There is _very_ little room in the seat behind me.
I am sure you would not buy a car without driving it, but when you do, pay particular attention to the front roofline, where it joins the top of the windshield. My previous car ('83 SAAB) had enough headroom, but the windshield was relatively short, and I found myself twisting my neck to see high-mounted overhead stoplights at intersections.
As you are in the US, it will be hard to find a car without a sunroof, but give it a try. They look good in a showroom, but the damn things steal valuable headroom. They don't raise the roof to put them in, they lower the ceiling. If mine breaks, I ain't fixing it. Don't trust the numbers given for headroom in the brochure, they are usually for the (sunroof-less) base no-option model. For my W124, its 975mm, or a little more than 38" (subtract 1" or more for the sunroof).
Happy hunting.
John M. Not wearing a hat in my '94 E320