Mercedes with most room (tall driver)

I don't remember that in my 1984 RHD UK spec W123 200E, which I had after my LHD W123 200D (driven in Germany) and LHD W123 200 (bought in Germany, driven in UK). Of course, not remembering might just be galloping senility.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Tall friend of mine recently went looking for a new car and only one that was comfortable for him without modifications was a Saab. He said the sloped windshields (drag reducer) on new cars cuts down forward visibility even when headroom was ok. He bought the Saab (real Saab not rebadged GM econobox) and is happy. Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

"Howard Nelson" haute in die Tasten:

Each Saab I have been sitting in (Saab 99, 9000, 9-3) had way too short rails for the front seat and a headrest which was not high enough for me. Besides this the steering wheel was mounted somewhat too deep for my taste. What a pity, because otherwise I'd love to drive one of them.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

I'm 6'6" too, with 37" inseam. I've got a '94 E320, and it has lots of leg room, but just barely enough headroom. My seat is all the way down, but not all the way back, and the steering wheel is telescoped all the way out. (It works for me, anyways.) There is _very_ little room in the seat behind me.

I am sure you would not buy a car without driving it, but when you do, pay particular attention to the front roofline, where it joins the top of the windshield. My previous car ('83 SAAB) had enough headroom, but the windshield was relatively short, and I found myself twisting my neck to see high-mounted overhead stoplights at intersections.

As you are in the US, it will be hard to find a car without a sunroof, but give it a try. They look good in a showroom, but the damn things steal valuable headroom. They don't raise the roof to put them in, they lower the ceiling. If mine breaks, I ain't fixing it. Don't trust the numbers given for headroom in the brochure, they are usually for the (sunroof-less) base no-option model. For my W124, its 975mm, or a little more than 38" (subtract

1" or more for the sunroof).

Happy hunting.

John M. Not wearing a hat in my '94 E320

Reply to
John Mauel