Mirror color change

The heated driverside outside mirror on my 98 E320.has changed from silver to a useless speckled gold color. Was this caused by a faulty heating sensor?
Dealer replacement glass cost $265 plus installation.!!! $110 at salvage yards. Does this glass pop out easily so I can replace it myself? Thanks for info.
Yes, the glass does come off... it is not a pop out but if I remembered correctly... there is a hole in the middle on the bottom of the mirror outer housing... and using a screwdriver,,, you can loosen the thread and it comes off.
i dont have my notes to recall if this secret sauce is auto dim or heater (or both). what I do know is that this failure is not uncommon with MB E-series.
mirror replacement is easy. 1 hr carefully done first time. 5 mins thereafter. :)
http://tinyurl.com/5vrvv4 <------ mirror only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0bgoME_mQ
<---- mirror housing