Mirrors on 1999 SLK230

Hi, I'm the very happy new owner of a 1999 SLK230. I have a question regarding the mirrors. The driver's side mirror apparently had a crack in it and the dealer replaced it prior to delivery. However, the two side mirrors don't look the same. The driver's mirror has a black plastic housing around the glass, while the passenger one does not. It looks a little funny. But I was surprised to see another SLK on the dealer's lot that also had the same mismatched mirrors, so it appears to be an intentional design. Does anyone know the reason for it?

Thanks!

Reply to
Krakus

Yep, it's perfectly normal.

The reason is that the driver-side mirror is heated, and the passenger mirror is not. Though I do agree that they could have added some trim around it just to make them look matched.

Thomas J. Paladino New York City

04 S500 99 SLK230 95 S320 *for sale* 89 Lotus Esprit Turbo
Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Both of the exterior mirrors on my SLK are color-matched (no black plastic housing anywhere); both my exterior mirrors are heated.

Rugbyguy

Reply to
rugbyguy

Both exterior mirrors on my SLK are color-matched (no black plastic housing anywhere), and both exterior mirrors are electrically heated.

Rugbyguy

Reply to
rugbyguy

electrically

Then your car was custom made, because I have never seen another SLK with plastic surrounds on the mirror glass on both sides.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Both the Owner's Manual and MBUSA state that the 1999 SLK230 has dual electrically heated mirrors. I guess both MB and I are wrong.

Rugbyguy

Reply to
rugbyguy

.jsp&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=99_SLK230&class=99_SLK&rnav=012345678&men

Oops, it's not because it's heated, it's because the left mirror dims, and the right one does not. I knew that there was a difference, I was just wrong about the heating. I thought that both dimmed and one was heated; I had it backwards.

Use your own two eyes, walk out to the car and look at the mirrors. The passenger side mirror does not have a plastic surround.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Yes, for the third time, it does.

Rugbyguy

Reply to
rugbyguy

Krakus:

In my description of the appearance of the mirrors on my own '99 SLK, I forgot to say the most important thing: that the mirrors on my car, which are original to the car, look exactly as you describe yours: different from each other. In more than four years of driving the car, I never noticed the difference.

Reply to
John Cisarik

They're identical.

Goodbye.

Reply to
rugbyguy

No they're not.

And three other people on here say the exact same thing. I think that even if you knew you were wrong at this point, you wouldnt admit it. Just post a picture of the driver side mirror and prove us all wrong then. I would be very curious to see the only SLK in existance with an un-framed driver side mirror.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I checked out a brand new UK spec SLK today, the mirrors are identical both sides

Reply to
miknik

I'm tempted to say, "Look again, and look closely."

I've had my '99 SLK since March of that year, and until the other morning, I would have sworn that both mirrors were exactly the same. When I examined them closely in response to postings to this newsgroup, I was surprised to find that they were not. But you do have to look closely....

miknik wrote:

Reply to
John Cisarik

miknik wrote

this thread, trust me, on a UK spec car they are identical. But US spec mirrors are bound to be different (they have a warning written on the lens, no?)<

Yes, the passenger-side mirror is convex (outwardly curved surface for a wider field of view). The warning is "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear." The owner's manual suggests also looking in the inside rear view mirror or looking over your shoulder before changing lanes.

Reply to
John Cisarik