Missing Oil Filter Gasket

This might be a silly question but when an oil change was done for my '85 300sd the oil guys didn't put on those rubber liners/seals/gaskets on/in the filter (the 2 seals/liners came with the filter), my question is
can any harm be done by this? Should I go back and get them to put in the gasket?
Thanks in advance for any help!
cp
That's good news, I almost considered not driving the car; ignorance is not bliss. But if an old gasket is still in there than I'll leave it.
Thanks!
cp

Is that all you get? With mine, I also get another steel gasket that is for the bolt that holds down the oil filter cover. Or is it different for diesels? Richard
On the diesels like that, there are two bolts that hold the cover on, and they don't take a washer.
wrote in message

for
Actually, in my '83 300TD, '83 240D, and '87 300D I've_never_taken out that center stem in the oil filter cover...just the two nuts alongside it and pulled the whole thing straight out. Since all my filter sets only had the O-ring and the copper washer, I never saw the need to disassemble anything else to get the job done...

I've been changing the oil myself for 13 years on my '79 300D. All I ever got with the filter was the cartridge and an "O" ring. Am I missing something?
Toblin
(Toblin) wrote:

NAPA
Thanks for the info Ray, next time I'll try to find a Knecht or Mann filter.
Toblin

filter.
How about just trying the dealership? That or www.buymbparts.com they may have one. Richard
The last time I bought filters (a dozen) I got Knecht filters on eBay. Use the search function, enter your car model, such as "300D" and the words "oil" and "filters".
There are auctions right now for 4 Mann filters for $23.95 plus shipping.
Ray 300SD 84

My dealer gives me parts at wholesale so that price you give is about what I pay, without the shipping cost. Richard