Ml 320 misfiring

Thought I posted this question but I don't see it in the queue. Bought a 99 ML320 with 70K miles. Ran flawlessly for a month and at least 2000 miles, then I had to replace the battery. About a week later, the engine started misfiring on the road and apparently the computer shuts off fuel to the cylinder where the misfire occurred. Turning off the engine and restarting cleared up the rougness, but the check engine light was on. Independent mechanic says he doesn't see the problem and it needs to go to the dealer and have the computer replaced. Seems extreme, when it seems like a bad plug or plug wire / resistor might have been the cause. Anyone experienced this problem?

Reply to
JMyers6670

May be a bad coil, pull off the covers to get at the spark plugs, the coils are there.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Alan

let the dealer find out what is wrong before doing too much that may or may not be needed. Then fix it yourself or have other shop do it

Reply to
BS

My old SLK had the similar problem. It was the spark plugs and the HT leads problems. Change the spark plug first and check any sign of jump spark from the HT lead by tracing the carbon powder under the spark plug cover. I was lucky the HT leads were ok last time.

Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

"BS" ¦b¶l¥ó news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com ¤¤¼¶ ¼g...

I've changed lots of coil packs and leads for this kind of problem on

112/113 engines. Usually at that kind of mileage too.

Plug change is due between 54k-66k has yours had this done?

Reply to
miknik

Chatted to a friend, his C180 got the same symptom as your one. The cause was a leak in the cylinder head gasket. The engine oil "conducted" the electrode to the ground. You also need to check any sign of oil leak inside the spark plug wells.

Hope you solve the problem soon

Keith E14 4NS Docklands

"miknik" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com ???...