ML Tires

My best friend has a 2002 ML320 with a mere 15,000 miles. He reports that in spite of rotating the 17 inch Dunlop tires regularly, they are "gone". His
local mechanic suggests Goodyear tires...says Michelin does not make a tire in that size. I doubt that. What do you all recommend? And do any of you have similar experience with Dunlops wearing out that fast?
Driving styles and road conditions are usually responsible for short tire life....and many of todays performance tires are made with very soft compounds resulting in excellent handling and traction but in very short tread life. Could be a combination of both.
This is short life, but not tremendously so. I don't think he'd get appreciably better mileage from another brand.
Between short tire and brake life, the most likely explanation is that your friend is simply driving the hell out of this vehicle.
- Mark
I highly doubt that he was "driving the hell out of his vehicle". I have had 3 new Mercedes, 1979 300 D, 1998 SLK and 2002 ML 320. All came with Dunlop Tires. On the 79 I only got 10500 miles out of tires, SLK I got 18000, and On the ML I just put a new set of tires on at 20,000 miles. I drive very conservatory, on the ML I normally get over 20 miles to the gallon, if that tells you anything. The fastest I have ever had any of these vehicles was 85 mph. I have usually replaced with Michelin, and get 40,000 or more miles out of them
The Dunlop tires are all Speed rated, and ride very well, they just don't last very long.On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:36:12 GMT, "markjen"

I highly doubt that he was "driving the hell out of his vehicle". I have had 3 new Mercedes, 1979 300 D, 1998 SLK and 2002 ML 320. All came with Dunlop Tires. On the 79 I only got 10500 miles out of tires, SLK I got 18000, and On the ML I just put a new set of tires on at 20,000 miles. I drive very conservatory, on the ML I normally get over 20 miles to the gallon, if that tells you anything. The fastest I have ever had any of these vehicles was 85 mph.
The Dunlop tires are all Speed rated, and ride very well, they just don't last very long.
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:36:12 GMT, "markjen"

MY 2001 ML320 has 30K on the original tires and they look like they could easily go another 15K
While when time comes to replace them I will probably go Michelin as I have always had excellent experiences with them over the past 30 years, I can't complain about the Dunlops.
RichieP
wrote:

your

Go back and read his posts about getting 5K out of a set of brake pads as well. I don't know how he is driving the vehicle, but when someone simultaneously posts that they're getting 15K out of set of tires and 5K out of brake pads, hard driving is certainly a distinct possibility!
FWIIW, I got 35K out of my original Dunlops on my ML320. Replaced them with Michelin LTX's.
- Mark
Not bad at all! Racing car's tyres last only hours. If he treated the road as a racing track, these figures are totally acceptable. Of course I assume he did not drive crazily.
I do not have a MB ML, but my 4WD had similar problem after I installed an incompatiable diff gear (second hand parts same model different year). The traction control thingee kept braking making the tryes and pads worn out very quickly.
Perhaps this explains the tyres and brake pads problems.
Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

out
with