ML320 Clicking Noise in Dash

I have a 2001 ML320 and I have a loud clicking noise (almost like a loud clock) that seems to be coming from somewhere in the dash board.
This sound occurs only when the temp control button is turned to
"cold", when the dial is set to the middle or warm section..... the clicking nose dissapears........ this noise occurs even when the A/C is on or off...... even with the fan set to off...... and the A/C off the noise starts.... the only way to stop it is to turn the temp control to a warner temp.
I guess this is Ok in the winter..... but when you need AC or just vent, the noise comes back..........
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this clicking noise or how I can fix it..........???? Appreciate you help
I have had the same continuous clicking noise in the dash for the past three years in my 98 ML320. The position of the A/C switches has no effect; however, the noise seems to diminish when the weather is below 40F. It has been serviced numerous times for other problems and each time I have requested diagnosis for the noise. Oddly, service technicians can neither "hear" it nor diagnose it
"Robb" wrote